If you have a vacuum that was designed for cleaning carpets, then it likely comes with a brush roll that will loosen the dirt and other debris from the fibers in your carpet. However, in order for your vacuum to operate exactly as you expect it to, it is important that you maintain the brush roller.
In this article, you will find out everything you need to know about brush rollers, including when to use them and other important maintenance tips.
When to Use Brush Roll on Vacuum
First thing’s first- it is important to know when to use the vacuum brush roll. This will ensure that it will work at maximum capacity and you won’t have to worry about replacing it too soon.
Vacuum brush rollers are meant to be used on carpets. They have bristles that are designed to get deep into the fibers of your carpet so that they can remove all the dirt, debris, and other materials that have embedded in your carpet.
You will want to make sure that the carpet height adjustment on your vacuum cleaner is set to the right level so that you can have the best performance. All you need to do is turn the adjustment dial on the vacuum to its highest setting, turn the vacuum on, and release its handle.
Then, you will want to lower the dial until the tone of the brush roll changes. When the tone has a lower pitch, that means it is at the right setting for the height of your floor. The brush won’t touch your carpet if you have it at a higher setting and air won’t be able to come in from the sides if you keep it at a lower setting.
You will want to make sure that you never use the brush roll on hard floors, including hardwood, linoleum, and tile. Using the brush roll when you’re trying to vacuum hard floors will only scratch the floors up and scatter dirt everywhere. In this case, you will either want to turn off the setting or adjust it so that it’s at its highest level.
There are also some carpets that actually may be too delicate for brush rolls, such as Berber carpets, so you will want to check the manufacturer’s instructions to see whether or not your carpet is compatible.
How to Remove Roller Brush from Shark Vacuum
- Unplug the vacuum. It’s not enough to just switch the vacuum off. It’s better to unplug it completely for your safety. In addition, if you try to remove the Shark vacuum brush roll while the vacuum is still on, you may cause damage to the vacuum.
- Find the brush. The roller brush can be found underneath your vacuum. Depending on the kind of vacuum you have, you will want to lay it on its side so you can find the brush.
- Unscrew the bottom plate. When you have the vacuum on its side, you will be able to find the bottom plate and the screws that are holding it in place. You will need to get a screwdriver to unscrew these so you can have access to the roller brush.
- Take the brush out. It’s generally very easy to then pop the roller brush out of place. The one end will slide out easily, but you will need to take the other end out of the holding belt. Don’t be in a rush to remove it, however, so that you don’t damage the holding belt. Simply rotating the roller should do the trick.
Other Information to Know
Here are some other tips to keep in mind regarding the maintenance of your brush roller.
- When it’s not working: Sometimes, you may find that your Shark vacuum brush roll is not working. So, you will want to check it out. The brush roller might not be spinning correctly, which means that it won’t pick anything up. You also will want to check to see if the belt is broken. If nothing seems to be wrong, then you may need to clean or replace the brush roll. It’s easy to find replacements, such as this Shark Navigator Brushroll Brushbar.
- How to clean it: If you realize that the brush roller needs to be cleaned, then it’s not too difficult to learn how to clean a roller brush, especially on a Shark Navigator vacuum, such as the Shark Navigator Lift-Away. Follow the same instructions from above on how to remove the brush roller. You may need to get a pair of scissors to cut some of the hair and dust off. Then, you just need to pull off all the dust with your hands. Depending on how dirty the brush roll is, this may take a while. It is also recommended that you do this over a trash can because it can get dirty.
- When it needs replacing: The first sign of your brush roller needing replacing is when your vacuum simply isn’t getting the job done anymore. Once you examine the brush roll, you will be able to tell that the bristles have worn out. They will end up looking similar to your toothbrush when it needs replacing.
It is crucial to know when you should use your vacuum brush roller and other important maintenance tips. This will not only increase the life of the brush roller, but it will also ensure that you can have a deep clean of your carpets every time you use it.