Blinds are one of the most difficult parts of your home to clean. They quickly accumulate dust and dirt, and due to their thin size, it can be a struggle to clean them. Luckily, you don’t have to pull out a pair of gloves and a dust cloth- which is great news if you have dust allergies. In fact, it’s incredibly easy to simply clean the blinds with a vacuum. Making sure that your vacuum can clean up dust off the blinds is one of the most effective and convenient ways for you to use your vacuum cleaner.
Here is all the information you need to know about how to clean dusty blinds, and other ways to clean the blinds.
Vacuuming Blinds: A How-to Guide
If you want to make the most out of your vacuum, make sure that you can use it to clean things other than the floor in your home. For example, many vacuums can also be used to clean upholstery, blinds, curtains, and different types of floors. If you want to make the most out of your vacuum cleaner, it’s important that you double-check the description to see if it’s suitable for cleaning the blinds. If that’s the case, then you’re good to go. Here are some other things to look for in a vacuum and more information on how to clean blinds.
- Get a soft dusting brush. If you want to learn how to clean blinds with Dyson, for example, you can get the dusting brush that is meant to be used as an attachment with a vacuum cleaner. The Dyson brush attachment in particular can be used with any of the Dyson vacuum models, which means you don’t even have to worry about choosing the right vacuum. These make it so much easier for you to clean the blinds. The best part is, these dusting brushes are the answer to how to clean blinds without taking them down. The brush can get in between each individual blind and it can be used to clean other surfaces, such as lampshades and lights. In fact, if you attempt to clean the blinds without using the brush attachment, you will run the risk of damaging the blinds. Even better, you can use a dust brush no matter what material your blinds are made of- metal, plastic, or wood.
- Start off by lowering the shades. To begin, you will want to lower the shades and close the slats all the way. This will enable you to reach a larger surface area as you clean. This method, as mentioned before, will work no matter what material your blinds are made of- plastic, wood, metal, or even fabric. Place the brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner and turn your vacuum cleaner on the lowest suction setting. Then, start from the top of your blinds and go down. Repeat the same process on the other side.
Surprisingly, it really is that simple. Using a vacuum cleaner not only eliminates the need for a broom and dustpan most of the time, but it also makes cleaning things such as your blinds much easier. It is recommended that you clean the blinds at least once per month- once per week if possible- so that your blinds will always be in optimal shape.
Other Ways to Clean the Blinds
With that being said, however, sometimes it’s not always practical to clean the blinds with the vacuum. This is especially the case if your blinds are stained. Here are some other methods you can implement in order to get your blinds sparkling.
- A mixture of dish soap and warm water. There’s no better way to clean than using dish soap and water. You can always trust this when all else fails. Vacuums are not meant for cleaning up stains, so if you notice that there are stains on the blinds, you may need to do some double-duty cleaning. It’s best to use a microfiber cloth for this purpose as they are multifunctional and easy to wash. Dip it in the soap and water mixture and wring it out so the cloth is damp. Dab at the stain until it is clean.
- Baking soda. If the stain refuses to come out, it may be a good idea to mix baking soda into the soap and water mixture to see if that changes things. Baking soda is a great way to try and remove heavy-duty stains. If the blinds are fabric and the stain refuses to come out using any of these methods, it might be a good idea to simply take them to the dry cleaner or, if you can, pop them in the wash.
- Use a regular dusting brush and vacuum. You can also simply take a dusting brush to wipe away the dust starting from the top. Sometimes, using a wet solution with dust can be the cause of a big mess. You will want to start on the convex side from top to bottom, and then dust the other side. Then, simply vacuum the area to get rid of any dust that has fallen.
- Microfiber mini blind duster. Another great way of how to clean vertical blinds or any other types of blinds is to get a microfiber mini blind duster. This tool was specifically designed for cleaning the blinds. You can find it at any home improvement store or websites like Amazon. They are small and lightweight, and they are able to cover different blind tiers at once.
Cleaning the blinds may seem like a chore, but there are many ways in which you can clean the blinds without making it too much of a hassle.
You Might Also Like: Vacuum Accessories Guide
Overall, a vacuum is a great tool to invest in no matter whether you want to use it to keep the floors clean or most other surfaces. It will save you a lot of time and energy if you want to clean different parts of the home, especially the blinds. Keep your home clean and dust-free using the different features of a vacuum cleaner.