Vacuum cleaners are necessities when it comes to cleaning the house. They help to cut the time necessary to do the job in half and make it so much easier. But getting a vacuum cleaner is not as easy as going to the store and buying groceries. There are many different brands, types, colors, shapes, sizes, and prices. There are also vacuums that are tailored towards specific needs, such as cleaning carpets or the inside of your car. Once you’ve determined what you need your vacuum for and approximately what you’re looking for, shopping for a vacuum will be much easier. We have compiled a guide of all the best advice for purchasing a vacuum cleaner, including the different types that are on the market, the most popular brands, and some of the best ones according to vacuum cleaner reviews.
Different Types of Vacuum Cleaners
When you begin your search for the perfect vacuum, you’re bound to notice that there are many options for you to choose from. First, it’s important to determine the type of vacuum cleaner that you want. Here are the main types.
- Upright: These are your typical vacuums and the most popular option out of all those listed. When you hear the words ‘vacuum cleaner,’ what you’re most likely imagining is an upright vacuum. They help to give your home a thorough and powerful cleaning and come with plenty of accessories and functions to make the job easier. These tend to be heavier than the rest due to all the functions that they provide, but there are some lightweight options as well. You most likely have owned one at some point in your life. They come in a range of prices, brands, and colors to choose from. Another great feature of these kinds of vacuums is that they will generally be able to work on both bare floors and carpeted floors.
- Handheld: Handheld vacuums are the perfect lightweight option if there are areas that you desperately need to clean that might be more difficult to reach with a regular vacuum cleaner. As you can imagine from the name, you hold handheld vacuums in one hand and they can generally be lifted upwards. The most common uses of a handheld vacuum are in the car, for curtains, furniture, and other areas that might be hard to reach with the use of a regular upright vacuum. They aren’t the best if you want to clean your whole house because the job will take much longer to complete. Even though they are rather small, handheld vacuums are great for cleaning up all the dirt and debris in places that you might have missed otherwise. Like the other vacuums on this list, handheld vacuums come in a variety of sizes and prices depending on what you intend on using it for.
- Robot: You’ve probably seen all the videos online of cats sitting on small disks that rotate around the room. Popularly referred to as ‘roombas,’ robot vacuums are a dream for people who might not have the time to break out the vacuum and complete the task on their own, who hate vacuuming, or who just hate any kind of housekeeping in general. These vacuums do not require much effort on your end. There are some robot vacuums that have their own apps for you to download and control from your smartphone, and there are others that come with their own remote controls. As the name suggests, all you have to do is press a button and the robot vacuum will travel through your home on its own, sucking up all the dirt and debris in the meantime. Because of their compact size, robot vacuums have the ability to get under chairs and other furniture that might be difficult for you to get under with another type of vacuum. They come with their own charging dock, which is where they rest when not in use. The only drawback to robot vacuums might be the fact that they tend to be more expensive than the average vacuum cleaner due to their innovative functions, but we suppose the fact that you don’t have to get up and vacuum yourself makes up for the price.
- Stick: Stick vacuums are the least powerful of all the options listed, but they are able to get into small and narrow spaces that might have been difficult otherwise with a regular vacuum. They also tend to work very well on surfaces such as hardwood floors, light carpets, and area rugs. They come with long handles and they have a rather slender build. You will be able to store these easily in any part of your home without problems because of their slim size. A plus with these vacuums is that they are much less expensive than the other kinds listed, and you generally will be able to pick one up for around $30. It is possible for you to clean your home with stick vacuums, but the dirt cup does not have as large of a capacity as other types of vacuums do, so it might not be as convenient or ideal for doing so. As we said, these are the best for cleaning small surfaces that you wouldn’t be able to clean as well with a regular vacuum, such as the stairs, furniture, hardwood floors, light carpets, even countertops, curtains, and windowsills.
- Canister: Think of canister vacuums as being a mixture of both the upright vacuums and stick vacuums. Much like upright vacuums, these are powerful and will allow you to get the job done quickly. But, they have a slender build characteristic of stick vacuums. There is a separate canister added to the long wand, which will allow you to clean carpets and bare floors. The canister has wheels on it and the wand part is handheld. These are great whether you want to clean your whole house or special surfaces. However, keep in mind that these tend to be powerful, so you will want to keep an eye out for where you plan on using them. In addition, canister vacuums tend to be on the more expensive side due to their innovative design and powerful functions.
Another thing that you will want to consider when shopping for a vacuum is the brand. Undoubtedly, some vacuum cleaner brands are more popular and higher quality than others. Here are some of the more popular brands that you are sure to love.
- Dyson: If you’ve seen commercials for the unique hairdryers and the vacuum cleaners with the ball, then you’ve certainly heard of Dyson. This brand is known for being one of the most expensive, but there’s a reason that their products are highly sought-after despite their steep price tag. They are some of the best and most powerful products on the market. Some of the products that Dyson manufactures include vacuums, fans, air purifiers, heaters, and hair styling products. One thing you can be sure of is that their products are designed to be the best of their type.
- Bissell: We’re sure you’ve heard of Bissell, too. It’s no surprise that their vacuums tend to frequent many ‘best of’ lists. Bissell is a brand that has been around for well over a century and they’re known for their vacuums, carpet cleaners, and steam cleaners. The best part of Bissell vacuums is that, aside from having amazing quality and getting the job done well, they’re known for being on the less expensive side. So, you can get something powerful and durable for a fraction of the price. A popular vacuum is the Bissell Crosswave.
- Shark: Shark is another popular brand when it comes to vacuum cleaners, and their vacuums also tend to frequent many ‘top-rated all-around vacuum’ lists. Shark’s products are popular both in the US and across the world and they have products meant for use both at home and for commercial purposes. The brand also manufactures other products, such as carpet washers, polishers, and other appliances and accessories.
- iRobot: While this might be a rather new brand in comparison to the ones listed above, we decided to throw it in anyways for those who want to get a robot vacuum. iRobot is the leading brand when it comes to robot vacuums and it is their products that made the concept popular. While there are many other brands that sell robot vacuums, iRobot Roombas are the ones that came first, and they seem to have set the precedent for all the rest. The brand also manufactures robot mops and robot pool vacuums.
Overview of the Top 5 Best Overall Vacuums
The first vacuum on our list of top-rated vacuum cleaners is the Eufy Boost IQ RoboVac. It was considered to be one of the best robot vacuums of 2019 and it claims to be the slimmest robot vacuum on the market. The vacuum is able to operate quietly while maintaining a high suction power. If extra strength is needed to get the best clean possible, the BoostIQ technology will help the vacuum to automatically increase its power within only 1.5 seconds. The sound is very minimal and is compared to that of a microwave. This robot vacuum has the ability to clean for up to 100 minutes and can even clean hardwood floors. The suction is consistent and powerful and it comes with many modern features. Some of these features include a glass top cover with anti-scratch technology, an infrared sensor to help avoid running into obstacles such as furniture, and drop-sensing technology to sense when it is nearing the stairs. The robot vacuum recharges frequently so you can always use it whenever you need to. Along with the vacuum, you will get a remote control, charging base, power adapter, cleaning tool, an extra set of filters, 5 cable ties, and 4 side brushes. The remote control is what you will use to power the device.
The number 2 spot on our list goes to one of the best canister vacuums, the Bissell Zing. The innovative design of this product will give you a lot more leeway when you go to clean your house. This vacuum has a dirt cup capacity of 2 liters and it does not have any bags that you need to change. The dirt cup filters and the post motor filter have the ability to gather more dust and particles than other kinds of filters do, and the best part is that you can wash these filters and reuse them again and again. This vacuum has a powerful suction and cyclonic action to allow you to thoroughly clean your home. You won’t have to worry about what kind of floors you have in your home because this vacuum will be able to do it all. You can easily clean carpets and hardwood floors with the simple push of a button. This vacuum comes with a 15-foot cord to provide you with extra convenience as you’re cleaning. This cord also will retract when you push a button to make the device easier to store. The product weighs less than 8 pounds, which will make it a lot easier for you to use around your house.
Here is yet another Bissell vacuum cleaner. This one is considered to be one of the best upright vacuums on the market. It has one pass technology, which means that it is meant to clean well and remove most of the surface debris on the first pass. It comes with a Turbo Brush Tool that will immediately get rid of all the hair, debris, and dirt from your home. The powerful suction will allow you to get a thorough clean of your home. All the dust is captured and will remain in the dirt cup without any issue. The vacuum has multi-level filtration, which will help to keep your home as free of allergens and other pollutants as possible. You have the ability to wash the filters, which will provide you with some added convenience. The 25-foot cord also provides you with some added convenience as you vacuum from room to room. The vacuum has a 6 foot hose, a 13.5 inch cleaning path, and the dirt cup capacity is 2 liters. The dirt cup is easy to empty without making a mess. The vacuum comes in a lightweight design to make it easier to use for anyone and it can clean on a variety of different surfaces. Some of these surfaces include carpet, stairs, low pile carpet, hardwood floors, bare floors, and upholstery.
As we mentioned in the previous section, Dyson is one of the most popular vacuum brands on the market, so it’s no surprise that Dyson also has a spot on our list of the best vacuum cleaners. This is also the most expensive option on our list with a retail value of $499.99. It has a capacity of .55 gallons and claims to have the strongest suction out of any vacuum on the market. You will be able to carry out tougher tasks with this vacuum due to the immense power it will provide you. Thanks to the ball design that is unique to the Dyson brand, you will easily be able to maneuver the vacuum around furniture and other obstacles as you clean. It has the ability to clean surfaces such as carpets, wood, tile, and vinyl. The vacuum has HEPA filtration, which will allow it to pick up dirt, allergens, and bacteria lingering in your home. All you need to do is push a button in order to empty the dirt cup. In addition, this is the perfect option for those who have pets because it has powerful tools to completely get rid of dirt, hair, and other allergens in your floors.
Finally, here is another powerful option that is definitely worth considering. This is another one of the best upright vacuums. It is powerful and has a motor and brushroll that will allow you to remove some of the most stubborn debris from your floors. The nozzle is 12.6 inches wide, which will allow you to clean a larger surface space. The vacuum comes in at 10 pounds, making it one of the more lightweight options, so you won’t have a lot of difficulty when you clean your home. It can be adjusted to five different heights. You will be able to use this vacuum on carpets, hardwood floors, shag rugs, and more. The wheels on the bottom will prevent hardwood floors from getting scratched up. Another great feature is that this vacuum has a large dust cup so you don’t have to empty it as frequently. The accessories that this vacuum comes with include a quick-release handle for when you want to do some above-floor cleaning, a 7-inch crevice tool, dusting brush, and upholstery tool. These will allow you to clean your car, curtains, door frames, or ceilings.
Even More Options
In addition to some of the features we mentioned above, when you go to buy your vacuum cleaner, there are some things you will want to consider.
- Cordless vs. corded: Cordless vacuum reviews are undoubtedly better than corded vacuum reviews, but the only main difference between the two is how they turn on. Corded vacuums can be a bit of an inconvenience depending on how long the cord is because you will be forced to plug it in and unplug it as you vacuum different rooms. The cordless vacuums are more convenient in this sense.
- What kind of surfaces it can clean: It is extremely important to pay attention to the kinds of surfaces that your vacuum will be able to clean. Most of the vacuums we have listed have the ability to clean on all kinds of different surfaces, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. So, if you have hardwood floors in your home, make sure that your vacuum has the ability to work on hardwood floors, and the same goes for carpets, rugs, bare floors, and more. In addition, you will want to double-check to see if the vacuum will work on furniture, cars, curtains, and anywhere else you’d want to vacuum.
- Bagged vs. bagless: There are a few differences between bagged and bagless vacuums to keep in mind. If you have allergies or asthma, bagged vacuums might be the better choice because you won’t be as exposed to allergens when you empty the bag. In addition, most dust bags claim to trap almost all of the allergens from your floors. You will need to replace the bags frequently, but they’re easy to find. Some people don’t want to deal with replacing bags, however, so they go for the bagless options, which are also more environmentally-friendly. These kinds of vacuums have a canister that you can see through so you can properly gauge how much room there is left for cleaning before it needs to be emptied.
Finding a good vacuum cleaner can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be once you know exactly what you’re looking for. With all the different kinds there are on the market, you’re bound to find one that suits all of your needs. Owning a vacuum cleaner will help you to clean your home even more thoroughly and in a fraction of the time that it would take you to sweep. If you decide to invest in a good vacuum cleaner, chances are it will last you for many years. We hope that this guide provided you with some better insight on what you are looking for in a vacuum cleaner and what requirements need to be met in order for you to have your ideal vacuum.