Vacuum cleaners are necessities when it comes to cleaning the house. They help cut the time necessary to do the job in half and make it so much easier. But getting a vacuum cleaner is not as easy as going to the store and buying groceries. There are many different brands, types, colors, shapes, sizes, and prices. In addition, some vacuums are tailored towards specific needs, such as cleaning carpets or the inside of your car. Once you’ve determined what you need your vacuum for and approximately what you’re looking for, shopping for a vacuum will be much easier. According to vacuum cleaner reviews, we have compiled a guide of all the best advice for purchasing a vacuum cleaner, including the different types on the market, the most popular brands, and some of the best ones.
Different Types of Vacuum Cleaners
When you begin your search for the perfect vacuum, you’re bound to notice that there are many options for you to choose from. But, first, it’s essential to determine the type of vacuum cleaner that you want. So, here are the main types.
- Upright: These are your typical vacuums and the most popular option out of all those listed. When you hear the words ‘vacuum cleaner,’ what you’re most likely imagining is an upright vacuum. They help give your home a thorough and powerful cleaning and come with plenty of accessories and functions to make the job easier. These tend to be heavier than the rest due to all their functions, but there are some lightweight options. You most likely have owned one at some point in your life. They come in a range of prices, brands, and colors to choose from. Another great feature of these kinds of vacuums is that they will generally work on bare and carpeted floors.
- Handheld: Handheld vacuums are the perfect lightweight option if there are areas that you desperately need to clean that might be more difficult to reach with a regular vacuum cleaner. You can imagine from the name that you hold handheld vacuums in one hand, and you can generally lift them upwards. The most common uses of a handheld vacuum are in the car, for curtains, furniture, and other areas that might be hard to reach with the help of a regular upright vacuum. They aren’t the best if you want to clean your whole house because the job will take much longer to complete. Even though they are relatively small, handheld vacuums are great for cleaning up all the dirt and debris in places you might have missed otherwise. Like the other vacuums on this list, handheld vacuums come at various sizes and prices depending on what you intend on using them for.
- Robot: You’ve probably seen all the videos online of cats sitting on small disks that rotate around the room. Popularly referred to as ‘roombas,’ robot vacuums are a dream for people who might not have the time to break out the vacuum and complete the task on their own, who hate vacuuming, or who hate any kind of housekeeping in general. These vacuums do not require much effort on your end. Some robot vacuums have their apps to download and control from your smartphone, and others come with their remote controls. As the name suggests, all you have to do is press a button, and the robot vacuum will travel through your home on its own, sucking up all the dirt and debris in the meantime. Because of their compact size, robot vacuums can get under chairs and other furniture that might be difficult for you to get under with another type of vacuum. In addition, they come with their charging dock, which is where they rest when not in use. The only drawback to robot vacuums might be that they tend to be more expensive than the average vacuum cleaner due to their innovative functions. Still, we suppose that you don’t have to get up and vacuum yourself makes up for the price.
- Stick: Stick vacuums are the least powerful of all the options listed, but they can get into small and narrow spaces that might have been difficult otherwise with a regular vacuum. They also work very well on surfaces such as hardwood floors, light carpets, and area rugs. They come with long handles, and they have a rather slender build. You will be able to store these easily in any part of your home without problems because of their slim size. A plus with these vacuums is that they are much less expensive than the other kinds listed, and you generally will be able to pick one up for around $30. You can clean your home with stick vacuums, but the dirt cup does not have as large of a capacity as other types of vacuums do, so it might not be as convenient or ideal for doing so. As we said, these are the best for cleaning small surfaces that you wouldn’t be able to clean as well with a regular vacuum, such as the stairs, furniture, hardwood floors, light carpets, even countertops, curtains, and windowsills.
- Canister: Think of canister vacuums as being a mixture of both the upright vacuums and stick vacuums. Much like upright vacuums, these are powerful and will allow you to get the job done quickly. But, they have a slender build characteristic of stick vacuums. There is a separate canister added to the long wand, which will allow you to clean carpets and bare floors. The canister has wheels on it, and the wand part is handheld. These are great whether you want to clean your whole house or special surfaces. However, keep in mind that these tend to be powerful, so you will want to keep an eye out for where you plan on using them. In addition, canister vacuums tend to be on the more expensive side due to their innovative design and powerful functions.
Another thing that you will want to consider when shopping for a vacuum is the brand. Undoubtedly, some vacuum cleaner brands are more popular and of higher quality than others. Here are some of the more popular brands that you are sure to love.
- Dyson: If you’ve seen commercials for the unique hairdryers and the vacuum cleaners with the ball, then you’ve undoubtedly heard of Dyson. This brand is known for being one of the most expensive, but there’s a reason that their products are highly sought-after despite their steep price tag. They are some of the best and most effective products on the market. Dyson manufactures some of the products include vacuums, fans, air purifiers, heaters, and hair styling products. You can be sure that their products are designed to be the best of their type.
- Bissell: We’re sure you’ve heard of Bissell, too. It’s no surprise that their vacuums tend to frequent many ‘best of’ lists. Bissell is a brand that has been around for well over a century, and they’re known for their vacuums, carpet cleaners, and steam cleaners. The best part of Bissell vacuums is that they’re known for being on the less expensive side, aside from having fantastic quality and getting the job done well. So, you can get something powerful and durable for a fraction of the price. A popular vacuum is the Bissell Crosswave.
- Shark: Shark is another popular brand for vacuum cleaners, and their vacuums also tend to frequent many ‘top-rated all-around vacuum’ lists. Shark’s products are popular both in the US and across the world, and they have products meant for use both at home and for commercial purposes. The brand also manufactures other products, such as carpet washers, polishers, and other appliances and accessories.
- iRobot: While this might be a relatively new brand in comparison to the ones listed above, we decided to throw it in anyways for those who want to get a robot vacuum. iRobot is the leading brand for robot vacuums, and it is their products that made the concept popular. While many other brands sell robot vacuums, iRobot Roombas are the ones that came first, and they seem to have set a precedent for all the rest. In addition, the brand also manufactures robot mops and robot pool vacuums.
Overview of the Top 5 Best Overall Vacuums
The first vacuum on our list of top-rated vacuum cleaners is the Eufy Boost IQ RoboVac. It was considered one of the best robot vacuums of 2019, and it claims to be the slimmest robot vacuum on the market. The vacuum can operate quietly while maintaining a high suction power. If extra strength is needed to get the best clean possible, the BoostIQ technology will help the vacuum automatically increase its power within only 1.5 seconds. The sound is very minimal and is compared to that of a microwave. This robot vacuum can clean for up to 100 minutes and can even clean hardwood floors. The suction is consistent and powerful, and it comes with many modern features. Some of these features include a glass top cover with anti-scratch technology, an infrared sensor to help avoid running into obstacles such as furniture, and drop-sensing technology to sense when nearing the stairs. The robot vacuum frequently recharges, so you can always use it whenever you need to. With the vacuum, you will get a remote control, charging base, power adapter, cleaning tool, an extra set of filters, five cable ties, and four side brushes. The remote control is what you will use to power the device.
The number 2 spot on our list goes to one of the best canister vacuums, the Bissell Zing. The innovative design of this product will give you a lot more leeway when you go to clean your house. This vacuum has a dirt cup capacity of 2 liters, and it does not have any bags that you need to change. The dirt cup filters and the post-motor filter can gather more dust and particles than other kinds of filters do, and the best part is that you can wash these filters and reuse them again and again. This vacuum has powerful suction and cyclonic action to allow you to clean your home thoroughly. You won’t have to worry about what kind of floors you have in your home because this vacuum will be able to do it all. You can easily clean carpets and hardwood floors with the simple push of a button. This vacuum comes with a 15-foot cord to provide you with extra convenience as you’re cleaning. This cord also will retract when you push a button to make the device easier to store. The product weighs less than 8 pounds, which will make it a lot easier for you to use around your house.
Here is yet another Bissell vacuum cleaner. This one is considered to be one of the best upright vacuums on the market. It has one pass technology, which means it is meant to clean well and remove most of the surface debris on the first pass. It comes with a Turbo Brush Tool that will immediately eliminate all the hair, debris, and dirt from your home. The powerful suction will allow you to get a thorough clean of your home. All the dust is captured and will remain in the dirt cup without any issue. The vacuum has multi-level filtration, which will help to keep your home as free of allergens and other pollutants as possible. You can wash the filters, which will provide you with some added convenience. The 25-foot cord also gives you some added convenience as you vacuum from room to room. The vacuum has a 6-foot hose, a 13.5-inch cleaning path, and the dirt cup capacity is 2 liters. The dirt cup is easy to empty without making a mess. The vacuum comes in a lightweight design to make it easier to use for anyone, and it can clean on a variety of different surfaces. These surfaces include carpet, stairs, low pile carpet, hardwood floors, bare floors, and upholstery.
As we mentioned in the previous section, Dyson is one of the most popular vacuum brands on the market, so it’s no surprise that Dyson also has a spot on our list of the best vacuum cleaners. This is also the most expensive option on our list, with a retail value of $499.99. It has a capacity of .55 gallons and claims to have the strongest suction out of any vacuum on the market. You will be able to carry out tougher tasks with this vacuum due to the immense power it will provide you. Thanks to the ball design that is unique to the Dyson brand, you will easily maneuver the vacuum around furniture and other obstacles as you clean. It can clean surfaces such as carpets, wood, tile, and vinyl. The vacuum has HEPA filtration, which will allow it to pick up dirt, allergens, and bacteria lingering in your home. All you need to do is push a button to empty the dirt cup. In addition, this is the perfect option for those who have pets because it has powerful tools to completely get rid of dirt, hair, and other allergens on your floors.
Finally, here is another powerful option that is worth considering. This is another one of the best upright vacuums. It is powerful and has a motor and brush roll that will allow you to remove some of the most stubborn debris from your floors. The nozzle is 12.6 inches wide, which will enable you to clean a larger surface space. The vacuum comes in at 10 pounds, making it one of the more lightweight options, so you won’t have any difficulties when you clean your home. You can adjust it to five different heights. You will be able to use this vacuum on carpets, hardwood floors, shag rugs, and more. The wheels on the bottom will prevent hardwood floors from getting scratched up. Another great feature is that this vacuum has a large dust cup, so you don’t have to empty it as frequently. The accessories that this vacuum comes with include a quick-release handle for when you want to do some above-floor cleaning, a 7-inch crevice tool, a dusting brush, and an upholstery tool. These will allow you to clean your car, curtains, door frames, or ceilings.
Even More Options
In addition to some of the features, we mentioned above, when you go to buy your vacuum cleaner, there are some things you will want to consider.
- Cordless vs. corded: Cordless vacuum reviews are undoubtedly better than corded vacuum reviews, but the only main difference between the two is how they turn on. Corded vacuums can be a bit of an inconvenience depending on how long the cord is because you will be forced to plug it in and unplug it as you vacuum different rooms. The cordless vacuums are more convenient in this sense.
- What kind of surfaces it can clean: It is crucial to pay attention to the types of surfaces your vacuum will clean. Most of the vacuums we have listed can clean on all sorts of different surfaces, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. So, if you have hardwood floors in your home, make sure that your vacuum can work on hardwood floors, and the same goes for carpets, rugs, bare floors, and more. In addition, you will want to double-check to see if the vacuum will work on furniture, cars, curtains, and anywhere else you’d like to vacuum.
- Bagged vs. bagless: There are a few differences between bagged and bagless vacuums to keep in mind. If you have allergies or asthma, bagged vacuums might be the better choice because you won’t be as exposed to allergens when you empty the bag. In addition, most dust bags claim to trap almost all of the allergens from your floors. You will need to replace the bags frequently, but they’re easy to find. However, some people don’t want to replace bags, so they go for bagless options, which are also more environmentally friendly. These kinds of vacuums have a canister that you can see through to properly gauge how much room there is left for cleaning before it needs to be emptied.
Finding a good vacuum cleaner can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be once you know exactly what you’re looking for. With all the different kinds on the market, you’re bound to find one that suits all of your needs. Owning a vacuum cleaner will help you clean your home even more thoroughly and in a fraction of the time, it would take you to sweep. If you decide to invest in a good vacuum cleaner, chances are it will last you for many years. We hope that this guide provided you with better insight into what you are looking for in a vacuum cleaner and what requirements need to be met to have your ideal vacuum.