If you’re on the hunt for a brand-new vacuum cleaner, it might be a bit overwhelming due to the fact that there are so many different types available.
Canister vacuum cleaners are just one of the many options available to you. These are more compact vacuums that house the motor in a separate unit from the vacuum itself. They are not as noisy as some of the other types, such as upright vacuums, which might make canister vacuums the best choice for you.
In fact, lots of people prefer canister vacuums over upright vacuums because they’re more powerful. They are known for being both quiet and lightweight while not sacrificing on power whatsoever. For your added convenience, they also have retractable cords.
In this article, we will attempt to answer some of your questions about canister vacuums, such as what is the best canister vacuum, which one has the best suction, what to look for when purchasing a canister vacuum, and more critical information.
- Different Types of Canister Vacuums
- Top 5 Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners
- Buying Guide
Different Types of Canister Vacuums
Canister vacuums tend to come in all different shapes, colors, and sizes, but here are the two main categories that you will see canister vacuums coming in.
Bagged: As the name suggests, bagged canister vacuums come with a bag that you need to replace when it becomes full. These aren’t as messy and they are recommended especially for people who suffer from allergies.
They also do not require as much maintenance because the filter is inside of the bag, so you don’t have to worry about cleaning the filter.
However, some people do not like the fact that they have to constantly check on whether the bag is full. Bagged canister vacuums are also not good for the environment and you will have to spend more money purchasing bags.
Bagless: Bagless canister vacuums are a bit more convenient in the sense that you will be able to see when the cup is full of dirt and debris and needs cleaning.
However, this can be a bit messy to do, which can trigger your allergies. With that being said, bagless canisters are better for the environment because you do not have to change and throw away bags and you do not have to make further investments.
One of the most commonly-asked questions when shopping for a good canister vac is who makes the best canister vacuum cleaner.
- Bissell: Bissell is one of the most popular brands on the market for vacuum cleaners in general, which also includes canister vacuums. They have some of the best bagless canister vacuums that make cleaning so much easier.
- Eureka: Eureka also creates some of the most powerful canister vacuums. According to customer reviews, this brand produces some of the most budget-friendly options on the market, so if you’re looking to save some money, then this is absolutely the brand that you should consider.
- Kenmore: According to Consumer Reports, Kenmore is the answer to the question of “which are the best vacuum cleaners.” The reports include multiple options from the brand, which also is considered to have some of the best canister vacuums for the carpet.
- Dyson: No vacuum list is complete without Dyson. While this might be the most expensive and high-end brand on the list, they do have some of the best vacuum cleaners on the market. This also includes canister vacuums. Dyson is known for its patented ball technology that makes cleaning and getting around furniture so much easier.
Top 5 Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners
The Bissell Zing is the best canister on our list. It has over 7,000 reviews, most of them expressing satisfaction with the product. The dirt cup has a capacity of 2 liters, which means that you will be able to clean up quite a large area without worrying about having to empty it.
This is a bagless canister vacuum, so you don’t have to spend your extra money on bags, either. You can easily clean carpets and hardwood floors with this vacuum, too, and all you have to do is flip a switch in order to move between settings.
It has a power rating of 9 amps and a 15-foot cord to make cleaning a lot easier for you.
In addition, the canister vacuum weighs less than 8 pounds, so you won’t have to worry about lugging around a heavy vacuum with you wherever you go. You can wash and reuse the filters for easier cleaning.
This Eureka option is considered to be the best canister vacuum for those on a budget. Coming in at less than $64, you don’t have to worry about spending too much in order to get a high-quality canister vacuum out of the deal.
It has a dust cup capacity of 2.5 liters, giving you plenty of room for cleaning without having to worry about emptying the dust cup too often.
This canister vacuum also comes with a blower port. It has 10 amps of power and is lightweight to make the task much easier, especially if you have a larger home and find that you need to move the vacuum around a lot.
You can use this vacuum for cleaning multiple types of surfaces, including carpets and bare floors, and to clean pet hair. It has a power-touch handle that has plenty of controls for you to easily maneuver, as well as a deluxe floor brush and a bare floor nozzle to make the experience a lot easier as well.
This Kenmore canister vacuum is considered to be the best cleaner vacuum and one of the best canister vacuums on the market for cleaning up pet hair, so if you have pets, this might be the ultimate choice for you.
It is a bit on the expensive side, but Kenmore has proven time and time again that its products are worth the investment. This is a bagged canister vacuum and it has a HEPA filter system, which claims to trap 99.7 percent of debris.
The LED light will turn on when the bag is full and needs changing. It comes with 4 accessories- the dusting brush, crevice tool, fan sweeper, and a second bare floor tool. The canister vacuum has a 2-motor system that allows the floor nozzles to switch from the different modes of cleaning hardwood floors to cleaning carpet.
In addition, it comes with the Pet Powermate attachment, which lifts pet hair, dander, and other debris from your floors.
Here is a multi-surface vacuum that you can use to deep clean your floors. It offers air flow control that you can adjust with your fingertips. This vacuum has three settings, including carpet, upholstery, and hard floors, so you also will be able to get your sofas and chairs clean.
The dust cup capacity is 1.2 liters. It’s lightweight, meaning that you will be able to maneuver it easily throughout your home and have no trouble if you have multiple floors at home. The dust container is 3 liters and it is bagless, so you do not have to worry too much about maintenance.
It also offers washable filters, so you simply clean and you’re ready to go. It has a 2-in-1 crevice tool and the vacuum is very easy to use. It features a retractable cord, too, so you will have a much easier time storing it when you’re done cleaning.
This second Bissell vacuum has a dirt cup capacity of 1 liter, which might be less than some of the other options that we included on our list, but people still are very pleased with the performance and features of this product. It is powerful but it claims to still be able to clean the surfaces in your home delicately.
This canister vacuum also has rubber wheels that will not mark up your floors while cleaning and it has a power rating of 7 amps. For those who are looking for a canister vacuum that is lightweight and compact, this Bissell option is for you. It is also easy to store without any difficulty.
The vacuum also has fingertip control to give you an easier time when trying to maneuver the device and switch between different settings. Some of the different surfaces that you can use this canister vacuum include hardwood floors, bare floors, and carpet.
It even has an extension wand for you to be able to clean more delicate surfaces like drapes and upholstery. The tank opens on the bottom so you won’t have any messes when you empty the canister.
Even More Options
- Ovente Bagless Canister Cyclonic Vacuum with HEPA Filter
- Bissell Hard Floor Expert Multi-Cyclonic Bagless Canister Vacuum 1547
- Miele Grey Classic C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner Corded (The Miele Complete C3 is considered to be the best canister vacuum with powerhead)
- Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Canister Vacuum
Aside from some of the other factors that we mentioned throughout the article, there are some other things that you may want to keep in mind when you purchase a canister vacuum.
- What does it work best for? As you may have noticed, some canister vacuums work better on different surfaces than others. You will want to pay attention to how well canister vacuums claim to clean bare floors, pet hair, carpets, hardwood floors, stairs, and other surfaces depending on what you have in your home.
- Is it lightweight? Canister vacuums tend to be lightweight, especially compared to upright vacuums, but you may want to pay extra attention to the weight if you have multiple stories in your house and will need to carry the vacuum around with you. In general, having a lightweight vacuum cleaner will also make the job much easier.
- How easy is it to clean? How easy will it be to clean the canister? Consider what we said earlier about bagless canister vacuums vs. bagged vacuums. Keep in mind that you will have to empty the debris and keep the vacuum clean in order for it to last you as long as possible.
- Special features: Some of these vacuum cleaners have the best accessories, including attachments and brushes. For example, you may want to see if the vacuum has a powerhead. Powerheads are great for getting deep into your carpet to get out all the dirt and debris, which might be an especially good thing to look out for if you have to clean pet hair. One of the best canister vacuum cleaners with a powerhead is the Miele Complete C3, which we have included on our list.
- Noise: The best canister vacs do not make much noise, but it still might be a good idea to test out the different models you’re looking into if the chance arises. Noise can be tedious and annoying, not to mention distracting or even frightening for those you live with.
- Cord length: You may not have considered this initially, but having a longer cord might make the job a lot easier for you. You won’t have to worry about constantly plugging the vacuum in when you move to another area to clean, thus making the task go by a lot faster. Another great thing about canister vacuums is that the cord is retractable, which means that you will also be able to store the vacuum without encountering any issues.
It may be a bit difficult finding the best canister vacuum for your home, especially when you consider how many are available on the market. But, we narrowed down some of your choices for you according to customer reviews.
In this list, we have included the best canister vacuums for carpet, the best canister vacuums bagless, ones that you can use on your bare floors, and more.
Hopefully, with the help of the tips, tricks, and advice we have included in this buying guide, you will be able to make a more informed decision on the best canister vacuum for your home.