Hate housework? If you’re just like the rest of us, doing any sort of housework, including vacuuming, doesn’t sound like a fun way to spend any part of your day. Luckily, you’ve probably heard of or seen videos of the Roomba, which is an innovative vacuum cleaner that you don’t even have to control yourself. By simply downloading the compatible app, you can even be at work when this small device leaves its docking port and works to clean all the dust and debris from your floors. What could be better?
Naturally, lots of people want to know ‘are Roombas worth it.’ This might all sound too good to be true. While they may operate on their own, can Roombas actually effectively clean your floors? Or is it all just a marketing gimmick to appeal to the lazy masses (us)?
In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of Roomba, as well as what you should look out for if you do decide that a Roomba is a necessary part of your housekeeping collection.
What to Look For
The device itself is called a robot vacuum, but they are commonly referred to as Roombas, which is the name of the brand that first released the device. However, there are plenty of Roomba alternatives on the market. Are you considering getting a robot vacuum to help you ease some of your daily chores? Here are some things that you will want to consider before hitting the ‘place order’ button.
- What kind of floors do you have? Robot vacuums tend to be better for hardwood floors, although some can be great for cleaning carpets. You will first want to make sure that the robot vacuum you’re considering will suit the types of floors you have in your home.
- Budget: When asked ‘how much does Roomba cost,’ a lot of people may automatically assume that they are worth an astronomical amount of money. The reality is that you will be able to find robot vacuums for as cheap as under $200 and others for more than $1,000. The robot vacuums offered by Roomba tend to be on the more expensive side, but there are some great Roomba alternatives offered for cheaper if you are on a tighter budget.
- Do you have pets, kids? We’ll go over this in more detail in the next section, but consider this when getting a Roomba. Some simply aren’t powerful enough to pick up the messes left behind by pets and kids. Be sure to read the descriptions and reviews thoroughly.
- Does it have an app? Some robot vacuum companies offer compatible apps that you can download on any smart device. These apps generally make it easier for you to control and schedule the vacuum. Some people like to have the robot vacuum work while they are at work. There are also some options that are able to map out your home and follow the same route every day.
Pros and Cons
With all of this considered, it seems as though Roombas are simply miracle devices that everyone must have in their homes. Not so fast. Before you go to purchase a Roomba, it is important to consider some of these pros and cons and then determine if it is the right device for you.
- Automatic. Obviously, the main reason why more and more people are getting robot vacuums is that they are automatic. You don’t have to worry about finding time to vacuum because the robot vacuum does it on its own. In addition to that, the Roomba will automatically return to its dock when it needs to be recharged, so you don’t even have to worry about that. What could be better?
- Saves you time. Along with being automatic, robot vacuums can save you a lot of time, which can be beneficial if you have a busy schedule. The Roomba in particular enables you to program it to clean your house at different times. You can do this up to seven times a week. It is also possible to choose different settings, such as spot cleaning or quick cleaning if you don’t feel that your home needs a thorough clean as often. This is great if you have a demanding job or even if you plan on going away for the weekend.
- HEPA filters. If you are someone who suffers from a lot of allergies, a lot of the newer Roombas come with HEPA filters, which are designed to remove allergens and other particles from the air. Whereas vacuums without these filters may simply regurgitate these particles and release them into the air again, you won’t have to worry about that with an HEPA filter.
- Can be controlled with an app. The Roomba and many other Roomba alternatives have compatible apps that you can use to control the device. As we mentioned earlier, you can use this app to schedule cleanings, as well as decide what kind of cleanings the device should carry out on different days. You can monitor the cleaning activity, customize your cleaning preferences, and even start, cancel, or pause the cleaning jobs. The best part is that all of this can be done no matter where you are.
- Can clean under furniture and other tough-to-reach spots. It can be difficult for you to clean some of these places on your own. Luckily, it is possible for the Roomba to get under furniture and other spots that are tough to reach. It is rather small in size, which gives it the ability to do this with ease.
- Some also work as a mop. The one activity that’s worse than vacuuming is mopping, but luckily, many of the newer versions of the Roomba have a built-in mop, too. You can set it up to vacuum and then mop your hard floors for even more convenience.
Although the Roomba seems to be a miracle device for everyone, there are some cons that you still will want to consider if you want to get one for your home.
- They can be noisy. If noise isn’t something that bothers you, then this won’t be that important, but Roombas can be noisy just like any other vacuum cleaner. This may not be as big of an issue for humans as much as it is for your furry friends. If you don’t like the noise made by Roombas, it is possible to schedule it to clean when you’re not home, so it is easy to avoid the noise altogether.
- Arguably not the best devices for people with pets. There are lots of Roombas and Roomba alternatives that claim to be able to pick up all the pet hair embedded in your carpets. And let’s face it- if you have pets, you’re going to need to invest in even more powerful cleaning equipment. The regular stuff just isn’t going to do the job. But according to many customer reviews, robot vacuums just aren’t powerful enough to clean up all the hair that pets shed. Indeed, lots of people find that they still need to get a regular vacuum for a deeper clean in addition to a robot vacuum. So, if you have lots of pets, then this might not be the best option for you.
- Not able to move around all obstacles. All kinds of robot vacuums are designed to move around your furniture, but it may be difficult for the Roomba to navigate around some other obstacles such as underneath your table. It’s not uncommon for people to find their Roomba stuck someplace. It’s worth getting a Roomba to see how it performs in your home if you’re worried that this will be an issue.
- Does not work on stairs. If you live in a multiple-story home, you will unfortunately need to get another vacuum for the stairs. This is because Roombas are able to operate on entire floors, but it isn’t able to climb or descend, so it simply won’t clean the stairs. Of course, this is meant to be a safety mechanism to prevent the Roomba from falling, but it’s something to consider. It also won’t clean upholstery.
- It still needs maintenance. While everything with the Roomba might be automatic, it is still a vacuum cleaner at the end of the day. That means you still need to clean the machine and check if it needs to be emptied or if the air filters need cleaning.
There are many pros and cons of the Roomba that are important for you to consider. It’s a great device that will eliminate your need to vacuum the house, which is good if you have a demanding career or simply hate cleaning.
However, it might not be powerful enough for more heavy-duty work, such as cleaning up embedded pet hair, and it doesn’t work on stairs or upholstery. Overall, however, the convenience of the Roomba is unmatched, which is why everyone should consider getting a Roomba or a Roomba alternative to make their lives easier.