How to Cook Bacon in a Toaster Oven – Step-by-Step
Bacon is a delicacy enjoyed in hundreds of cultures and nations across the world. Nine out of ten people love meat and would take any opportunity given to have a good juicy slice in the morning, during lunch, or supper time. This piece shall focus on the best way to prepare oven baked bacon, as it will specifically answer, “How to cook bacon in a toaster oven?” To know the basic principles of cooking to perfection in a toaster over, check out our blog on How to Cook in a Toaster Oven.
Bacon is a meat product that is pork cured using large quantities of salt by either dry packing or brine. As we all know, Everything Tastes Better with Bacon. Bacon can be dried or stored for a long time for like weeks or even months and the steps to use are either you smoke, boil or even dry it in cold air for weeks. In order to eat the fresh or dried bacon, you either fry it on the pan or boil the meat or it is ready after some smoking if done properly. Below, we will roll down the process of baking bacon and try to answer how to bake bacon perfectly.
The word is derived from the Old German bacho, meaning “buttock”, “ham” or “side of bacon”, and is used with the old French bacon. In other terms, the meat of other animals like chicken, lamb, beef, and lamb can be cut and cured to make bacon-like meat if prepared properly.
HOW TO MAKE AND STORE BACON
Bacon can be cut in whatever size you want. The center cut bacon is leaner and low sodium bacon has less salt. When you go to buy bacon, for convenience, there is also fully cooked bacon available that is heated in a microwave but do not mistake it with oven baked bacon that we will prepare below.
Storage tips of the bacon are that it can packed and placed in the coldest part of the refrigerator at temperatures from 370 to 460 F and also for the unopened package, bacon can be stored at 00F for a month. To store them in smaller parts, wrap them into three to six slices tightly in a plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Defrost by submerging the freezer bags in cold water for like 15 minutes or 10 minutes.
There are a variety of ways to cook and prepare bacon. This is why people often wonder which is the proper way of preparing it. Some argue that cooking bacon in a microwave is better than cooking bacon in an oven, which is not true since microwave has its limits when determining amount of crispiness is concerned. Here you can check a comprehensive comparison of cooking in microwave vs. cooking in an oven. After using multiple cooking methods, I finally found a favorite and easy way that is making bacon in the oven. During the preparation of bacon in a toaster oven, we start by baking it for 10 to 15 minutes until it reaches your desired level of crispiness.
Steps Involved in Cooking Bacon in the Toaster Oven
Step #1- The Beginning
- The cooking process starts by taking the bake sheet bacon that will fit in your toaster oven.
- Use the aluminum foil or the parchment paper to line the baking sheet, in that this will allow easy cleaning of the utensils after the preparation as you can remove the foil or parchment paper and discard it.
Step #2- Placing Bacon Perfectly
- After acquiring the baking sheet, the next step is to place the bacon flat on the baking sheet. Always keep the bacon separated.
- In the process of making bacon in the oven, the bacon should not be touching or overlapping so that it cooks completely well. By doing that just lie the bacon flat on the sheet.
- One of the key rules of the steps of making bacon in a toaster oven is to wash your hands thoroughly after touching raw bacon.
Step #3- Putting Bacon in the Oven
- The next step in the process of preparing bacon in toaster oven is putting the meat under the wire tray of the toaster oven.
- Place a sheet pan under it that fits at the bottom of the oven. That is to ensure that if the bacon drips during the process, the sheet will catch it. The reason for a sheet on the toaster is to make it easier to remove the pan and clean the bottom of the toaster oven easily.
- Place your bacon in the toaster oven and set the oven to approximately 200 to 210 degrees Celsius in temperature. Before placing your bacon into the oven, ensure it is heated completely.
Step #4- Cooking the Bacon in Toaster Oven
- For the next step, keep watching the meat treated with salt or smoked in the toaster oven while it cooks for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. However, thinner bacon may take less time and cook quicker.
- Keep an eye on the bacon as it will curl and crisp slightly before it becomes ready for removal while cooking bacon in a toaster oven.
Step #5- Removing Bacon from the Oven
- After cooking bacon in the toaster oven as per your desired taste and appearance, remove it from the toaster oven and place it on the plate.
- Use paper towels on a plate and place bacon on top of them to remove the excess grease. After removing the bacon from the toaster oven, allow the bacon to cool for a few minutes before serving it.
Bacon can be prepared in different dishes to your desired taste, for example with eggs, sandwiches, Cobb salad, and various bacon-wrapped foods.
Benefits of Baking Bacon in Toaster Oven
Bacon is cooked in multiple ways but baking is arguably the best method to prepare it. Here we have some of the most common benefits of making bacon in the oven.
- When you make bacon in the oven, grease drips out onto the pan, therefore removing excessive calories, fat, and greasiness. Moreover, as mentioned in Step #5, you can even use paper towels after removing it from the oven to further absorb oil and saturated fats. In the end, you get a slice of crispier and healthier bacon.
- Contrary to popular belief, frying is not the way to get the crispiest bacon. Since baking removes most of the grease from the bacon, it keeps the bacon crispier for longer periods as compared to fried bacon.
- Unlike other methods, baking bacon saves you plenty of time. So next time some guests show up at lunchtime, consider baking some tasty bacon slices for them.
Bacon has been constantly gaining popularity over the past years since it can be dried and stored for long periods like weeks or even months. The ways to use it include smoking, boiling, or drying in cold air for weeks. Cooking bacon in a toaster oven results in a delicious breakfast or even lunch. Making bacon in the toaster oven allows you to try different dishes as per your desired taste. There are a variety of bacon-wrapped foods you can try that carry baked bacon. As to be given the choice of my last meals, it would be bacon. Nothing is quite intoxicating as the smell of bacon frying. Also check out list of top 10 toaster oven snack recipes to enjoy delicious snacks during breakfast, lunch and dinner.