Wasting good food is something most people can’t afford to do. Using a product like the FoodSaver 4800 can save families both time and money. As far as vacuum sealer food savers go, this particular appliance rates high with consumers. It is a must have.
This vacuum sealer offers several different ways to make food last. With the many accessories for the FoodSaver 4800 available it is possible to create seals on containers, reusable bags, jars and even some bottles. It’s a versatile appliance designed to make food saving convenient.
Criteria for a Vacuum Sealer Food Saver
Vacuum sealers for food have to do a couple of things to be useful to the consumer. Firstly, they have to be able to efficiently seal foods so that the freshness of the item can last longer. This is the main selling point of all vacuum sealers. Secondly it has to be affordable. While the point of the appliance is to save food, consumers are also looking at vacuum sealers to save themselves some money.
The FoodSaver 4800 is the best rated vacuum sealer which not only seals food effectively and comes at an affordable rate, but it also adds versatility to the mix. There are many accessories that can be purchased for the FoodSaver 4800 that allows families to seal many kinds of items. The FoodSaver 4800 really shines when it comes to this.
Not only are there precut bags provided for the starter kit, but there is also an extra roll of the plastic so you can customize your bag sizes. This can be stored in the handy container on top of the appliance.
Have a pork loin you need saved? No problem! The vacuum sealer in the food saver will have you covered with a bag just the size you need. All you have to do is measure out the amount of bag you need, cut it with the razor on the edge (safely!) of the container and place one end inside the sealer. It will heat seal one end so you can store your pork loin inside and then vacuum seal it on the other end.
Consumers providing reviews for the 4800 talk about the ease of using it for everything from sealing bags to sealing jars, marinating foods and preserving other dried goods like beans and cereals.
This appliance is easily affordable for families, helping them add pennies to their pockets by eliminating the need to throw away food while offering this product at a price the average person can afford.
The vacuum seal provides lasting freshness for all foods. Up to five times longer, in fact. There are bags meant for sealing and freezing (these bags are heat sealed at both ends to prevent them from opening) and there are reusable zipper bags for fridge use. These bags are good for storing deli meats and cheeses or the kids’ favourite snacks. Just like a Ziploc bag, the FoodSaver Zipper Bags can open to be used again and again while still being able to be sealed with the handheld pump. This same pump can be used for sealing FoodSaver containers, mason jars and bottles as long as you have the tools.
The size of the FoodSaver 4800 is just a bit larger than its counterpart, the 5800. It measures at H16.26”, W8.76”, D7.98”, meaning it will take up a bit of cupboard space. The starter kit comes with 1 roll of Heat Seal Plastic, 5 946ml Bags, 5 Zipper Bags, one container and one bottle stopper. Consumers can also expect a 5-year warranty on their appliance.
- According to FoodSaver 4800 reviews one of the highlights of this vacuum sealer is its ability to tell the difference between wet and dry food. This allows the machine to adjust its vacuum strength, preventing dried goods from being crushed because too much air has been removed. When the end of the bag is inserted into the sealer it can also detect moisture and will seal the bag appropriately. This means your meats and fruits will not get freezer burn due to additional air in the bag.
- With that same feature, meats and vegetables can also be sealed with sauces and marinades making Crockpot meals a breeze for the busy parent.
- The Rapid Marinate Mode comes in handy when you’ve forgotten to marinate the meat. All you have to do is put the meat in the marinade container, add your sauces and spices and then seal it using the handheld sealer. The vacuum will remove all of the additional air in the container and also allow the meat to absorb the flavour of the sauces more quickly.
- The handheld vacuum also gives consumers the ability to save food longer in the short term. Lunch meat and cheeses can be purchased in advance and saved for five times longer than usual. This means meals work week meals can be planned a week in advance. Fruit can be cut up and sealed in the zipper bags making them easily accessible for school lunches and kid’s snacks. The Zipper bags would also come in handy for any school snacks that need to stay fresh over the day, such as boiled eggs.
- One other use that has been mentioned in a FoodSaver 4800 review is that jewellery can be sealed inside the bags, effectively preventing tarnish or tangling. This same procedure can be used for important documents, saving space in the filing cabinet. Other valuable items, such as coins or collector cards, can be stored securely and away from the elements.
- Another benefit, though not really spoken about, is that using this kind of device can help prevent unnecessary items from entering the landfill. Preserving food in a way that prevents freezer burning and makes fresh foods last longer is helpful to the environment as well.
- When it comes to the FoodSaver 4800 vs. the 5800 there is one main feature that stands out as missing. The 5800 has an automatic roller for the bag roll that the 4800 does not. Many consumers have said the automatic roller is a feature they wish they had.
- Aesthetically, food vacuum sealers can leave something to be desired. It’s not an attractive appliance and if counterspace in the kitchen is at a premium it can make pulling the vacuum sealer and accessories out for small uses a bit cumbersome. The FoodSaver 5800 is a bit smaller than that 4800 but not significantly so.
- Some consumers have also mentioned that refills of the Heat Seal Bags can be a bit costly. While the reusable FoodSaver Zipper Bags won’t need to be replaced as often, the Heat Seal Bags are only good for one use.
Some of the features include:
- Retractable Handheld Sealer
- Fully Automated Operation
- Airtight Heat Seal
- Convenient Roll Storage
- Auto Moist/Dry Food Detection
- Rapid Marinate Mode
- PulseVac Control
FoodSaver 4800 Vs 5800
The Foodsaver 4800 and 5800 are quite similar products. Both units feature wet/dry detection, built-in roll storage and a handheld sealing option.
The difference is mainly the look, the size and the additional features. The 4800 is bigger than the 5800 in physical size, but they use the same size bags. The 5800 has an automatic bag roller & dispenser as well.
The physical design of the product is a personal opinion, we think the 4800 has a sleeker design. Overall the Foodsaver 5800 has a clunkier design, but comes with a few extra features, and a higher price tag.
9.5” H x 10.5″ W x 22″ L
Automatic Bag Dispenser:
8″ H x 6.25″ W x 19″ L
Automatic Bag Dispenser:
The FoodSaver 4800 will work best for the busy family who is trying to save every penny they can. It is a viable tool that would compliment those who purchase items in bulk. It allows consumers to go from purchasing items individually to purchasing them in bulk, while still being able to count on fresh food in the freezer and in the fridge.
Another great brand of vacuum sealers is Ziploc.