Vacuuming and cleaning the floors isn’t many people’s favorite task to carry out. Fortunately, there is indeed a way for you to clean your house without having to worry about physically carrying out the task yourself. This can be done thanks to the innovative robot vacuums. These vacuums use smart technology and sensors to map out your home and clean it autonomously. You may have heard your friends refer to them as ‘Roombas’- the iRobot brand product- or you may have seen videos online of pets wondering what this disc moving around the floor is.
- Different Types of Robot Vacuums
- Robot Vacuum Brands
- Top 5 Best Robotic Vacuums
- Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac 11S Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum WiFi Connectivity
- iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum WiFi Connected Mapping
- Robot Vacuum GOOVI 1600PA Robotic Vacuum Cleaner with Self-Charging 360 Degree Smart Sensor Protection
- Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac 30C Robot Vacuum Cleaner WiFi Super Thin 1500Pa Suction
- Even More Options
- Buying Guide
Robot vacuums have grown in popularity over the past several years for obvious reasons- you don’t have to physically vacuum. With some vacuums that you can power using your smartphone, you don’t even have to be home in order for them to work; you simply set a timer and let the vacuum move on its own.
All robot vacuums come with a charging dock, which they will automatically return to when the charge starts to get lower. Typical automatic vacuums will be able to run for approximately 90 to 100 minutes at a time. The only major downsides to robot vacuums are the fact that they will take longer to clean your home due to their compact size, and the fact that they are more expensive because of the innovative features they have to offer. But, of course, this is made up for by the fact that you don’t have to do the cleaning yourself.
In this guide on robot vacuums, we will give you information on what features you should keep an eye out for as you shop for robot vacuums, as well as some of the most popular brands and the best options according to robot vacuum reviews.
Different Types of Robot Vacuums
Robot vacuums do not necessarily have different types, as they all carry out the same function- the ability to clean your floors without you needing to move. But there are some differences in the way these devices are able to operate.
- How it is controlled: Many robot vacuums will be controlled with the use of a remote control, although there are many on the market that are able to connect to WiFi. Some brands, such as iRobot and Eufy, have their own apps that the automatic vacuum will connect to when you turn it on. This will give you the ability to monitor the vacuum as it cleans your home, as well as set a timer for when you want it to clean if you won’t be home that day.
- Navigation: A unique feature of some of the robotic vacuums on the market is that they are able to map out your home. We have included one such option on our list of the best robot vacuums. They are able to create a detailed map of your home and clean it accordingly. There are also automatic vacuums that do not have this option, but they do have sensors that will allow it to know where to move. For example, your robot vacuum will avoid areas such as the stairs so it doesn’t fall or large pieces of furniture that will act as obstacles.
- Battery life: It is important to understand that all robot vacuums come with a charging dock, as this is how they get power to work. They do not have a cord as a regular vacuum would, so you don’t need to worry about plugging it in. Most robot vacuums have a battery life somewhere between 90 and 100 minutes. This might seem like a lot, but keep in mind that robot vacuums are relatively small, which means that it will take them a bit longer to clean your house than it would a regular vacuum. This means that it’s not impossible for your vacuum to return to its charging dock during a cleaning session, charge, and return to work. The battery life on most robot vacuums is the same.
- 2-in-1: In addition to robot vacuums, one device that has been growing in popularity is robotic mops. As the name suggests, robot mops will be able to mop your floors using special technology to avoid your carpets. While these are often sold as separate devices, there are also some brands that have begun to manufacture their own 2-in-1 robot vacuums and mops. The most popular brand that has started to do this is Ecovacs. These robotic appliances do come at a rather steep price, but it might be worth it for what they are able to do.
Robot Vacuum Brands
Many brands have started producing their own robotic vacuums after the devices started to grow in popularity, but there are undoubtedly some brands that customers trust more than others.
- iRobot: It is impossible to discuss robotic vacuums without mentioning the iRobot brand. This is the brand that started it all. With the invention of the Roomba, the world of vacuuming forever changed as we know it. iRobot vacuums continue to be some of the absolute best on the market, despite the fact that they tend to cost a bit more than the robot vacuums manufactured by other brands. They work well and tend to come up with innovative features sooner than the rest. It remains a fact that robot vacuums made by other brands will be compared to those made by iRobot. So, if you’re looking for robot vacuums that you can be assured will work perfectly well, iRobot is the best place to start your search.
- Eufy: Eufy robotic vacuums have also grown in popularity and are a great competitor for iRobot. We have included several options from this brand on our list. In comparison to the robot vacuums offered by iRobot, Eufy’s tend to be a bit cheaper. They also tend to work just as well, as can be attested by the thousands of positive reviews they tend to get online. This brand is a part of the Anker brand, which has grown popular for its cordless phone charges. Eufy also is known for manufacturing other appliances and connected devices that have smart technology.
- Ecovacs: Ecovacs is another brand that has grown in popularity for the robot vacuum cleaners it has to offer. Known exclusively for producing in-home robotic appliances, their products tend to be more innovative and advanced than the rest, often costing more than the average robot vacuum (even more than the ones offered by iRobot). Their expensive price can be justified, however; many of Ecovacs’ products have artificial intelligence and other new technologies that are not seen by other brands. In addition, the brand is popular for manufacturing a 2-in-1 robotic vacuum and mop.
Top 5 Best Robotic Vacuums
The first vacuum on our list of best automatic vacuums is the Eufy BoostIQ. It was considered to be one of the best robot vacuums of 2019 and it claims to be the slimmest robot vacuum on the market. The vacuum is able to operate quietly while maintaining a high suction power. If the device detects that extra strength is needed to get the best clean possible, the BoostIQ technology will help the vacuum to automatically increase its power within only 1.5 seconds. The sound is very minimal and is compared to that of a microwave. This robot vacuum has the ability to clean for up to 100 minutes and can even clean hardwood floors. The suction is consistent and powerful and it comes with many modern features. Some of these features include a glass top cover with anti-scratch technology, an infrared sensor to help avoid running into obstacles such as furniture, and drop-sensing technology to sense when it is nearing the stairs. The robot vacuum recharges frequently so you can always use it whenever you need to. Along with the vacuum, you will get a remote control, charging base, power adapter, cleaning tool, an extra set of filters, 5 cable ties, and 4 side brushes. The remote control is what you will use to power the device.
iRobot is known as the most popular robot vacuum cleaner brand and the one that other robotic vacuums are frequently compared to. The Roomba 675 has a 3-stage cleaning system that has the ability to loosen, lift, and suction dirt, dust, and other substances from any type of floors, especially hardwood floors and carpet. There are also dual multi-surface brushes to give your floors an even deeper clean. The vacuum even has special dirt sensors that work to clean the high-traffic areas of your home, such as the living room and kitchen, with more intensity. It has other sensors to ensure that it can navigate under furniture and in other places that a typical vacuum cleaner might not have the ability to. There is also an edge sweeping brush placed at a 27-degree angle meant to sweep away any dirt and debris from corners or other places that are difficult to reach and clean. You can connect and schedule the vacuum using Alexa or the iRobot Home app on your smartphone. This will allow you to monitor the cleaning sessions and time when you want cleaning to take place. The Roomba has the ability to clean for 90 minutes before it will automatically return to its dock to recharge.
According to many robot vacuum reviews, this is the best robotic vacuum on the market and it is also the best robot vacuum for pet hair. Compared to other Roombas, this robotic vacuum has a power-lifting suction that is 5 times more powerful. It has a mapping function that will completely map out your entire home for cleaning with its iAdapt 2.0 technology. This technology helps to obtain measurements to make the coverage of your home much more accurate. As mentioned, if you have pets, this is one of the best options for you because of the 3-stage cleaning system. This system will clean all the pet hair and dirt that you would not have been able to see otherwise. In addition, you will be able to clean hardwood surfaces with the unique dual multi-surface rubber brushes. They are able to adjust and flex themselves in order to maintain contact with bare floors and carpets consistently. The vacuum also has a high-efficiency filter that has the ability to capture 99 percent of any allergens or other particles in your floors. If the Roomba needs to charge in the middle of cleaning, it will automatically return to its dock to recharge. Then, it will continue to clean until the job is completely finished. You will be able to customize how you want the Roomba to work using the iRobot HOME app on your smartphone, Alexa, or Google Assistant.
Robot Vacuum GOOVI 1600PA Robotic Vacuum Cleaner with Self-Charging 360 Degree Smart Sensor Protection
This Goovi robot vacuum has also been highly-rated by customers. It has a powerful suction of 1,600Pa that has the ability to pick up the tiniest of crumbs, dirt, and dust. You will be able to use this robotic vacuum on multiple different surfaces in your home, whether they be carpets or bare floors. You can also operate this robot vacuum with the use of a remote control, or you can choose the auto touch function to clean your entire home. When the robotic vacuum starts to lose power, it will return to its charging base to recharge. This means that the vacuum will always be ready for use whenever you need it. The vacuum is only 2.83 inches tall, which means that it can easily go underneath beds, couches, vanities, and other furniture to capture all the dust and dirt that would have otherwise been difficult to clean. There are also large wheels that have the ability to move freely over carpets and climb over ledges in between the different types of floors in your home. The vacuum has many cleaning modes to completely clean your home while you are occupied otherwise. In addition to the vacuum, you get 4 side brushes, 1 remote control, 1 main brush, 1 high efficiency filter, 1 cleaning brush, 1 charging dock, and 1 adapter.
Another Eufy BoostIQ has made this list according to robot vacuum reviews. This is powered by WiFi using the EufyHome app, as well as Alexa from Amazon and Google Assistant. You can use voice control to command the vacuum to do whatever you need. The vacuum is 2.85 inches, which means that it will easily be able to get under any surface to be able to clean up all the dirt and dust. It has 1,500Pa of powerful suction, which means that it can get every bit of debris. With its BoostIQ technology, if the device detects that more effort is needed in certain places, such as in the high-traffic areas of your home, it will increase its suction power within the span of 1.5 sections to be able to clean these areas more thoroughly. In addition to that, the vacuum cleans quietly, and claims to do so at a volume that is no louder than that of a microwave. This is a great feature, especially for those with pets that are afraid of vacuums. This vacuum has the ability to clean for up to 100 minutes before it will automatically return to its charging dock for recharging. With the purchase of this vacuum, you will get boundary strips, a remote control, a power adapter, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, an extra set of filters, and a cleaning tool.
Even More Options
As we mentioned before, there is not much in terms of different types of robot vacuums that you need to keep an eye out for. However, there are certainly a few features that you will need to consider as you shop for a robot vacuum.
Should I purchase a robot vacuum?
- This is the first question that needs to be addressed in this buying guide. Most people gravitate towards robot vacuums based on the fact that they don’t need to put in any effort while vacuuming. You no longer have to worry about bending over and spending time doing a chore that you most likely hate. If you’re a busy person, you can even get the job done through an app on your phone. However, is this enough of a reason to purchase a robot vacuum? Robot vacuums are, certainly, very powerful and have proven themselves not to be gimmicks and a marketing ploy. Many people are genuinely pleased with how robot vacuums work and consider them to be an inseparable part of their cleaning routine. However, do keep in mind that a robot vacuum is not going to replace your regular upright vacuum. They aren’t meant to do deep cleans and won’t get your home as spotless as a deep-cleaning upright vacuum will. However, robot vacuums will keep your home clean and are perfect for daily use.
What kind of floors can robot vacuums clean?
- This will depend on the individual robot vacuum and it’s something that you will need to look out for when you’re shopping. Most robot vacuums are able to handle low-pile carpets and hardwood/linoleum floors. If you have a thicker carpet, then you will want to look for the robot vacuums with the most powerful suction. They struggle a bit with fluffier carpets, so that’s something you will want to keep in mind. If you have hardwood floors, however, it would be worth considering purchasing a robot mop to help make them even cleaner.
How many rooms do you intend to clean?
- Many robot vacuums are able to clean multiple rooms in your house, with most of them having some sort of sensors or mapping capabilities to help them navigate through the different rooms. But there are some robot vacuums that can only clean one room, so you will want to be careful. If you have a larger house, then you may want to look into robot vacuums that have their own mapping systems to know what parts of the home they already have cleaned. You may also want to consider moving any large furniture that may prove to be a major obstacle to some of the simpler kinds of robot vacuums.
Recharging and resuming cleaning
- This is an important feature that you should look for when shopping for a robot vacuum. Since many of these vacuums have a specific battery life, it is likely that they will start to run out of charge in the middle of a cleaning session. If your vacuum has the ability to recharge and resume cleaning, this simply means that it will return to its charging dock, recharge, and continue where it left off, requiring no maintenance on your end.
Setting a schedule
- It might be shocking, but yes, some robot vacuums can operate according to a schedule. This is great for people who have demanding jobs or who will be away for some time. You simply set a schedule using the app for when you want the robot to start cleaning, and that’s all you need to do.
Robot vacuums are considered lifesavers by many and they can make a great addition to your cleaning routine. If you absolutely hate cleaning and any kind of housework, robotic vacuums can prove to be a valuable investment. While they might not have all the functions that a regular upright vacuum would, that doesn’t mean that robot vacuums are not powerful enough to get the job done on their own. Whether you have pets, young kids, frequent visitors, or you simply live on your own- robot vacuums can prove to be a pleasant addition to any home.