If you don’t want to deal with the large piles of leaves, branches, and other debris in your yard, there’s actually an easy solution to the problem that doesn’t require spending hours outside raking. Getting a leaf and lawn vacuum is one of the best investments that you can make that will also make your life so much easier.
So what is a leaf and lawn vacuum? They’re sometimes referred to as leaf vacuum lawn mowers because you attach them to your lawnmower. The vacuum collects all the debris lying around your yard and collects it in a bag or bin for you to dispose of later.
Fall is right around the corner and dealing with piles of leaves in your yard can be a hassle. In this article, you will find everything you need to know about lawn and leaf vacuum collection systems, including the top leaf and lawn vacuums that you should consider purchasing.
What to Look For
If you’re on the hunt for a good leaf and lawn vacuum, there are definitely several factors that you will want to keep an eye on. To begin, it is important to understand that there are three different types of these vacuums that you can choose from.
- Handheld lawn vacuum: These are typically both leaf blowers and vacuums in one. The most convenient of all on the list, they are known for being lightweight and easy to use. They often feature easy adjustment systems and you can switch between the vacuum and leaf blower settings simply by pushing a button. They typically rely on two different power sources: gas or electricity. Keep in mind, however, due to the relatively smaller size of these lawn vacuums, they aren’t meant for more heavy-duty tasks. Only use these to pick up lighter debris, such as leaves and flowers. They are more affordable than other options and great for people who have smaller lawns.
- Tow-behind lawn vacuums: These are a great option for you if you have a larger property to handle. Besides that, these lawn vacuums can handle the largest capacity of debris, which is especially good if you live in an area that is prone to large storms. They connect to a mower’s deck. The hose gathers all the debris, then the debris is shredded and goes into the hopper. You can also purchase a separate hose kit that will enable you to clean areas near your deck or patio. Keep in mind that these tend to be more expensive than the other options on our list, so it would be more of an investment. They are worth it if you have a lot of heavy-duty debris to clean up.
- Walk-behind lawn vacuums: In addition to the tow-behind vacuums, you can also consider the walk-behind lawn vacuum. These are also meant for people who have large yards and who would need to carry out much more heavy-duty cleaning. Naturally, a smaller, handheld option might not be the best if you have more space to clean. However, walk-behind vacuums are also only suited to gather the lightest types of debris, such as leaves and grass. Some of them also function as litter vacuums, which enables them to clean trash such as bottle caps and cigarette butts. Some may also require you to push them around your yard to operate, whereas others are self-propelled.
It’s good to consider that most leaf and lawn vacuums can do double duty. Most of the time, your vacuum will also function as a leaf blower, but others may function as litter cleaners, too.
After understanding the differences between the types of leaf and lawn vacuums, there are some questions you may want to ask yourself before you decide on a vacuum.
- What types of things will you be clearing up? If you simply want something that can handle lightweight materials such as leaves and grass, then a lighter-duty vacuum will do the job for you.
- How big is your yard? If you have a bigger yard, as we said earlier, a handheld vacuum might not do the trick as you will quickly get tired. Plus, they aren’t meant for much more heavy-duty tasks. The size of your yard will play a huge role in the type of vacuum that you get. For example, people with yards that are around ¼ of an acre would benefit from a handheld option, whereas tow-behind lawn vacuums can even clean golf courses.
- Can you handle doing the work yourself? Keep in mind that some leaf and lawn vacuums make you do the work yourself. This means you may have to push the device, for example, if you get a walk-behind leaf and lawn vacuum. If that’s not something you’re capable of doing, then it might be worth reconsidering getting that type. The handheld options tend to be very lightweight with ergonomic designs, meaning that they are much easier to handle. Some of them come as backpacks, which is even more convenient.
- Corded or cordless? Like many other tools nowadays, leaf and lawn vacuums also are either corded or cordless. Of course, using a cordless tool seems to be a lot more convenient because you won’t have to worry about plugging it in and unplugging it whenever you reach a new area. But keep in mind that these operate using batteries, which need to be charged every so often. Usually, cordless vacuums can operate for up to 2 hours before needing to be charged. Also, these tend to be lighter and cleaner than their gas counterparts.
- Can you handle a lot of noise? Of course, leaf and lawn vacuums don’t necessarily operate quietly. With that in mind, some options are quieter than others. Handheld and cordless vacuums will operate much more quietly than their petroleum counterparts, meaning that you won’t have to scare the dog every time you pull out the lawn vacuum.
- Gas vs. electric? Finally, you will want to consider whether you should get a lawn vacuum that operates on gas or electricity. The general rule of thumb is that gas vacuums are much more powerful than electric ones, meaning that you don’t necessarily need a gas vacuum if you have a smaller yard since there simply won’t be as much to clean. Gas blowers are extremely powerful and flexible since they obviously rely on a full tank of gas. So, you’re not as limited in terms of where and when you can use it. You won’t have to worry about recharging as long as you have a gas source. But electric vacuums are smaller, easier to handle, cleaner, and don’t require as much maintenance.
Top 5 Leaf and Lawn Vacuums
This first option is considered to be the best leaf and lawn vacuum. It works as both a blower and a vacuum to provide you with added convenience. You won’t have to worry about purchasing two separate tools for your yard. You will be able to change between the settings simply by using the quick-release latch.
This blower vac also comes with a large metal impeller, which will condense the debris that was gathered so that you will be able to clean up more of your yard while using fewer trash bags. You can also adjust the speed settings up to 250 mph. This blower uses a cord and you can control the speed for both the blower and the vacuum. When you purchase this, it comes with the vacuum tube, bottom-zip bag, power insert, concentrator nozzle, and cord storage hook.
You also will be able to rely on this next option for all of your yard work cleaning, which is also produced by the brand Toro. Just like the previous option, this one also functions as both a leaf blower and vacuum. It claims to provide superior blowing and mulching in comparison to other similar products on the market. It can operate up to 250 mph and it uses 350 CFM in the blow mode and 410 CFM in the vacuum mode. You can control the speeds in both modes, which will enable you to have more control over the blower.
It works as a leaf shredder as well, which means that you can pack away much more debris. It comes with the vacuum tube, bottom-zip back, cord storage hook, shred-all shred ring, and time-saving oscillating tube. Keep in mind that the bag is not meant to gather dust, but instead, the debris and leaves that have gathered in your lawn. It operates with a cord.
According to DR Leaf and Lawn vacuum reviews, this was the best option by the brand. DR Leaf and Lawn vacuums are some of the best on the market, so you are guaranteed to have a reliable option if you choose this. This is a leaf and lawn vacuum tow behind, so it is going to cost a little more, but you know you’re getting a high-quality product out of the deal. It has great suction power and will attach to your lawnmower.
Also, it can be used as a flatbed trailer if you want to haul different loads across your property. The product operates by lifting debris into the spinning blade. Then, it is shredded and passed into the collector, which will greatly reduce the volume of the debris and enable you to collect even more. You don’t have to worry about other debris in your lawn destroying this leaf blower; you can easily pull it out after a massive storm!
This option from Greenworks includes a brushless motor, which will enable you to use the vacuum for longer periods. It won’t experience a lot of wear and tear, either, so you can use this for years to come. You can adjust the speed settings up to 185 mph for cleaning major debris. It works well for yards that are ¼ of an acre. The leaf vacuum works as both a leaf blower and vacuum as well so that you can get much more use out of it.
This will also save you money because you won’t have to purchase separate tools. It can handle both wet and dry leaves. When you purchase this product, it comes with a compatible battery and charger for added convenience. It will run up to 60 minutes and weighs only 5.6 pounds.
The final choice on our list comes from Worx, which is a brand trusted by people for all their yard work. The unique part about this option is that it’s a 3-in-1 device. It works as a leaf blower, mulcher, and vacuum, which means that you won’t have to worry about spending extra money to purchase additional tools. You can quickly change between the different modes with the flip of a switch.
The mulcher has a metal impeller that cuts leaves down, allowing you to pick up even more debris from your lawn than ever before. It also has two speeds, 75 and 210 mph, which enables you to work on different surfaces. The best part is that the product is designed to be controlled with just one hand. It only weighs 9.3 lbs, and the manufacturers designed an ergonomic handle that makes it easier to use and control. The tube is designed to reach in corners and other hard-to-reach places. Also, it comes with an extension cord retainer that won’t allow it to disconnect.
Depending on what you’re looking for, any of the different types of leaf and lawn vacuums available will prove to be a great investment to make doing yard work even more convenient. Gone are the days where you have to spend hours raking the yard or cleaning up debris after a huge storm. Any of the options on this list are guaranteed to make cleaning up your yard so much easier- and they’ll save you from some back pain, too.