Some people think of a nasty joke when they hear the phrase “dutch oven.” But luckily, that’s not what this article is going to be about. Instead, in this article, you’ll have an in-depth guide on how to purchase the best dutch oven, as well as information on the best dutch oven brands according to reviews. So what is a dutch oven?
These are substantial cooking pots with tight-fitting lids that are great for soups, stews, or anything else for slow cooking. These pots are large and heavy, so they’re not something you will be using every day. Instead, you can use dutch ovens in the oven or on the stove. They’re mostly made of cast iron and will last you a lifetime.
Since you want to get the best dutch oven possible, you must be aware of all the different factors for buying one. We’re here to help.
- Different Types of Dutch Ovens
- Top 5 Best Dutch Ovens
- 1. Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Stainless Steel Knob and Loop Handles
- 2. AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven 6 Quart
- 3. Lodge 5 Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven Pre-Seasoned Pot with Lid and Dual Loop Handle
- 4. Crock-Pot Artisan Round Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven 7 Quart
- 5. Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Round Dutch Oven 5.5 Quart
- Even More Options
- Buying Guide
Different Types of Dutch Ovens
The two main types of dutch ovens are indoor and outdoor dutch ovens. However, many modern pots can be used both indoors and outdoors for camping or cooking at home.
- Indoor: Indoor dutch ovens are very versatile and great for cooking some of your favorite cozy meals. They have flat bottoms and domed lids. These dutch ovens are typically meant to be used on stoves or in ovens. You can use indoor dutch ovens on many types of stoves, including electric and gas. They have enamel cast iron and usually come in bright colors to make cooking more enjoyable. These dutch ovens have outstanding thermal properties as well to improve the quality of your cooking.
- Outdoor: If you are someone who loves cooking outdoors or going camping, an outdoor dutch oven is right for you. It also comes with many of the same features, such as a tight-fitting lid and enameled cast iron, but you will be able to use these pots over a fire or wood coals. You can use an outdoor dutch oven to make some of your favorite slow-cooking dishes, such as stews and roasts. Some people even use these for baking cakes and bread. It has a flat lid so that the lid can hold hot coals on top of the dutch oven. The cover also typically has ridges so that ashes won’t fall into the oven.
- Le Creuset: Le Creuset is a brand that has been known for its high-quality kitchenware since 1925. It is considered to be one of the best. Many people trust the dutch ovens and other cooking appliances produced by Le Creuset due to their durability and sturdiness.
- Lodge: Lodge is another one of the best brands that have high-quality enameled cast iron dutch ovens. These ovens are made of porcelain enamel to provide superior heat retention when you create or store food.
Top 5 Best Dutch Ovens
According to best dutch oven reviews, this first option is considered to be one of the best dutch ovens of 2021. With nearly 16,000 reviews on Amazon, you know that this cast iron dutch oven is going to be one of the best available. As the name suggests, it is made of enameled cast iron and features a stainless steel knob, lid, and loop handles. You can use this cast iron dutch oven for marinating, refrigeration, cooking, and serving.
You can even use the cast iron dutch oven on induction cooktops. It is a 6-quart pot capable of boiling, braising, baking, or roasting in the oven up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, making this one of the best dutch ovens for baking bread due to the fact it’s oven safe.
You can also saute, simmer, and fry using any stovetop. It is dishwasher safe, but washing with soap and water will help you to preserve the 6-quart dutch oven’s appearance better.
The next option is another one of the best dutch ovens cast iron of 2020. This 6-quart Dutch oven has side handles and a tight-fitting lid. It can go in the oven up to temperatures of 400 degrees. The cast iron material provides even heat retention. The self-basting dutch oven also is made of enameled cast iron to give a non-stick function.
It must be washed by hand, and you should use oven mitts or potholders while handling the pot and the lid. The enamel will not react to your food. You can use this to marinate, cook, and store food in the oven and on the stove since it is oven safe.
It is easy to clean by using warm water and dish soap, making it one of the best choices for your convenience. But, unfortunately, it is not dishwasher safe.
This cast iron dutch oven is 5 quarts and is the best for preparing any meals in 2020. It comes with a lid and dual loop handles. The lid is easy to grasp with oven mitts. The pot is pre-seasoned, and it makes all the difference in your cooking. It is pre-seasoned with 100% vegetable oil, and in fact, the pre-seasoned pot will get better the more often you use it.
The dutch oven is made of high-quality materials to provide it with lifetime durability and versatility. You can use this pot for many different cooking purposes, including searing, sauteing, simmering, braising, baking, roasting, and frying, making it one of the best dutch ovens for bread and one of the best dutch ovens for sourdough bread.
It is oven-safe. It’s also pre-seasoned for an easy-release finish that will improve in use. It’s also considered to be one of the best pots for heat retention and even heating. It is one of the best dutch ovens for camping because you can use the pot over the campfire. It can also be used in the oven, on the stove, or the grill.
The pot isn’t dishwasher safe, but you can wash the cast iron by hand using mild soap or none at all. It’s also recommended that you rub it with a light layer of vegetable oil while the pot is still warm.
The next pot has a convenient design and has the best dutch oven size of 7 quarts. It is compatible with gas, electric, ceramic, and induction stovetops. The self-basting cast iron dutch oven makes cooking easier due to its excellent heat retention and distribution. You can use this pot for any slow cooking activities. It is also oven safe up to 450 degrees.
The pot has an enamel coating for high-quality cooking. It is easy to clean and rust-free, and all you need to do is wash it by hand when you’re done using it. The cast iron dutch oven has oversized handles, a lid, and stainless steel knobs to provide you with a sturdy grip. The cover also has a convenient handle.
The convenience makes this one of the best dutch ovens available in 2020.
Our final dutch oven is from Le Creuset, which produces some of the best dutch ovens on the market. This dutch oven comes in several different colors and includes 45% larger handles that will enable you to get a better grip, even if you’re wearing oven mitts. It can be used on ceramic, electric, gas, and induction stovetops, as well as grills. It is also oven safe.
The Le Creuset self-basting pot is made of enameled cast iron for better heat retention and distribution. It has a sand-colored interior with an enamel coating to provide more resistance to wear. The large composite knob on the lid can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees, making this the perfect enameled cast iron dutch oven to use in the oven.
The exterior enamel will also resist chipping and cracking. This dutch oven has a capacity of 5.5 quarts to fit any of your favorite meals. It is easy to clean; make sure you let the pot cool down a little, leave it to soak, and then wash with soap and water.
Even More Options
- Lodge Deep Camp Dutch Oven 8 Quart
- Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Round Dutch Oven 7.25 Quart
- Camp Chef 12 Quart Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- AIDEA Dutch Oven Enameled Cast Iron Oval with Lid & 7 Quart
- Overmont Dutch Oven 5 Quart Cast Iron Pre Seasoned with Handle Covers & Stand
We’ve already gone through some of the features offered by enameled cast iron dutch ovens, but there are some factors that you will want to consider when you go to purchase one.
- Material: You will especially want to consider what the dutch oven is made of when you purchase one. As we’ve mentioned several times, most dutch ovens are made of enamel coating. These tend to be more expensive due to their quality and craftsmanship, but you will be assured that your cast iron dutch oven will last you a lifetime. There are also stainless steel pots, which won’t be as expensive and won’t provide you with the same quality and heat retention properties. One of the brands we mentioned in this article, Le Creuset, is handmade and inspected by experts to provide customers with the best materials and enamel coating.
- Quality: You’ll want to make sure that you’re getting a good-quality pot out of the deal. Some companies provide better products than others. For example, you’ll want to consider spending a little more money to purchase a high-quality enameled cast iron dutch oven. While all enamel can chip, these won’t chip if you handle them correctly. These dutch ovens also provide even cooking and heat retention while being versatile.
- Size: It is also essential to consider the size of the dutch oven. You will want to make sure that you get a dutch oven that is big enough to support all the meals you want to cook while also being big enough to feed your family depending on how many people are in it. Generally, the rule of thumb is to get a dutch oven between 5 quarts and 7.5 quarts. Another popular size is 6 quarts. A 7-quart Dutch oven can cook large meals for any guest. You can use these pots for cooking stews, roasts, and anything else. If you’re financially strapped, you can also get a huge dutch oven to cook a large meal and have plenty of leftovers for the week. These pots will also be able to accommodate more significant cuts of meat.
- Interior: The interior of most dutch ovens is either black or tan. Light interiors will help you see into the pot while you are cooking, and you will be able to check the color of your food. However, the color will change over time depending on how often you use it. A black interior will be able to hide the scuffs and scratches over time, but you won’t be able to see your food cooking as well.
- How well the lid fits: You want to make sure that your dutch oven’s lid had a loop handle in the middle that you will be able to lift while wearing an oven mitt. The cover needs to keep steam in the dutch oven for heat retention to keep your food warm. The same also goes for the dutch oven’s handles; you will want to make sure that they are big enough to carry the pot with ease while wearing a pair of oven mitts.
- Pre-seasoned: Some dutch ovens are pre-seasoned wihttps://homeaddons.com/best-kitchen-lighting-ideas/th vegetable oil to keep the interior lasting longer and make cooking a lot easier. This is a preference for many people.
Dutch ovens are a great cooking utensil that you should have in your kitchen. In this article, we provided a list of some of the best dutch ovens in 2020 available on the market based on reviews and quality. If you get an enameled cast iron pot and take good care of it, the dutch oven will most likely last you forever. The dutch oven will become a staple in your kitchen and cooking, providing you with delicious meals for any occasion. Best of all, you can use the pot for many purposes. It’s worth having.