Finding a good vacuum cleaner can be overwhelming, especially when you think about the thousands of different options available on the market. Cordless vacuums are just one of the many types for you to choose from. If you’re looking for a vacuum that is lightweight and convenient, then cordless vacuums are your best bet.
They might not be as powerful as upright vacuums, for instance, but they work well if you want something for a smaller space or for cleaning surfaces such as stairs or upholstery.
If you were considering getting a cordless vacuum, we have compiled this buying guide to give you more information on what you should look for in a cordless vacuum, the types of cordless vacuums, and finally, some of the best cordless vacuums available.
- What to Look for in a Cordless Vacuum
- Types of Cordless Vacuums
- Which Cordless Vacuum is Best?
What to Look for in a Cordless Vacuum
When you’re on the hunt for a good cordless vacuum, it can be a little intimidating when you consider all the different features they have to offer and the many types there are. But it’s important to keep some features in mind when purchasing a good cordless vacuum.
- Battery life: The first thing that you should check with any cordless vacuum is its battery life. Keep in mind that they typically don’t have a long run time because they use a lot of power in order to operate. It might be a good idea to make sure that the vacuum has a lithium-ion battery because these are the most powerful, charge quicker, and feature a longer battery life. In general, cordless vacuums can operate between ten minutes to somewhere around an hour. They don’t tend to be the best for giving your home a deep clean. Also, keep in mind that the battery life will depend on what setting you’re using, as some of the more powerful settings can make the battery die a lot quicker.
- Charging time: Another unfortunate thing about cordless vacuums is that they tend to take much longer to charge. Generally, in order to get a full charge, it will take a few hours to even a day. It is a good idea to see the minimum time meant to charge for somewhat of a deep clean. In addition, many cordless vacuums require you to charge them for several hours before you use them for the first time.
- Dust capacity: Cordless vacuums have a smaller dust capacity than other types of vacuums, so it is important to consider that you will have to empty the vacuum much more frequently. They tend to have a dust capacity of 0.6 liters. The majority of cordless vacuums have bagless dust bins, so you might have to come into contact with dust and debris, but there are some that offer a bag. Many of them also have a transparent dust bin, which enables you to see when you need to empty it out.
- Size: The best part of cordless vacuums is that they are lightweight and compact. These vacuums weigh a lot less than standard vacuums at only about 3-4 pounds. You can maneuver a cordless vacuum much easier than others due to their ergonomic design. Many of them can also detach to be handheld vacuums. Cordless vacuums are also easy to store and take with you wherever you want.
- Additional features: Depending on what you’re looking for in a vacuum, there are some additional features that cordless vacuums have to offer. For example, many of them have LED lights that will enable you to see in dark spaces. Many cordless vacuums also come with attachments such as brushes, hoses, and tubes. These make it easier for you to get into crevices and clean curtains and other surfaces. Others come with screens that enable you to see features such as the battery life, maintenance updates, and more.
- Filtration system: It is also a good idea to see what kind of filtration system the vacuum has. The best filtration system is HEPA filters. These are able to eliminate up to 99.99% of particles in the air, including dust, debris, and allergens. They enable the vacuum to expel cleaner air than you were breathing. This is a great vacuum for people who may have allergies because it will eliminate the allergens in the air. Just make sure that you maintain the filters and keep them clean so they continue to work at maximum capacity.
You Might Also Like: Best Budget Vacuum Reviews
Types of Cordless Vacuums
It is also important to consider the different types of cordless vacuums that are available.
- Stick vacuums: These are the most common types of cordless vacuums available. Stick vacuums are thin and small, and they tend to be easier to store than the other options. These are compact vacuums that have slim cleaning tubes while also being able to convert into handheld vacuums. They might not be the best options if you want to give your entire home a deep clean, but stick vacuums work well for daily maintenance and making sure that your home, car, or stairs get a good surface clean. Many stick vacuums come in cordless options, although there are some that come with cords. Keep in mind that these won’t replace
- Handheld vacuums: Handheld vacuums are extremely convenient options for people who want something that can clean up smaller messes, cars, stairs, upholstery, and other surfaces. They aren’t going to replace your regular vacuums either, but you can rely on handheld vacuums for less heavy-duty purposes. Handheld vacuums are also compact and lightweight, so you can use them wherever you need to. They tend to only weigh a few pounds and are small enough to get into smaller corners and crevices.
- Cylinder vacuums: Cylinder vacuums are other cordless options that are powerful and can get your house clean quickly. They tend to be smaller and more lightweight than upright vacuums, which makes them a good option for people who have smaller homes. You can maneuver cylinder vacuums easily and store them wherever you need to when they’re not in use. They work well on different surfaces, such as carpets, hardwood floors, and stairs. You can also rely on them to clean hard-to-reach areas such as crevices and corners. Cylinder vacuums are either bagged or bagless, and some are more powerful than others, enabling you to clean things such as pet hair. Cylinder vacuums feature the cylinder, which is where the motor and bag are, which is also maneuvered by its wheels. You simply clean surfaces by using the hose.
- Upright vacuums: You will usually think of an upright vacuum when you imagine a vacuum cleaner. They are powerful and great for giving your home a deep clean. They have a tilt and push design that enables you to get deep into your floors to get out all the dirt and grime that has piled up. They work the best for deep carpet cleaning, but make sure to find ones that can turn off the brush roll if you want to use them on a hard surface. They tend to be bigger and less versatile than the other options, but these are, undoubtedly, the most powerful. Most of them either are bagless or feature bags, and the ones that are cordless tend to have a shorter battery life.
Which Cordless Vacuum is Best?
Without further ado, here are some of the best cordless vacuums available on the market. We compiled this list according to customer reviews on Amazon. Aside from the options available on this list, there are many others that offer great features and powerful cleans.
This Moosoo option is one of the best cordless vacuum cleaners on our list. Many customers have used this product and love it for how powerful it is, as well as its cordless functions. It operates for 20-35 minutes to ensure a thorough clean wherever you use it. The vacuum also has powerful suction to clean dust, debris, crumbs, and even pet hairs. It is considered to be one of the best cordless vacuums for hardwood floors, and it also can perform on carpet, stairs, windowsills, upholstery, curtains, and other surfaces.
The vacuum has both a high-efficiency cyclone and HEPA filtration system to eliminate up to 99.99% of microscopic particles. The cyclone will create a high-speed rotating airflow to eliminate these particles from the air. You can also rely on the wireless design for added convenience with 2 adjustable modes to adapt to different surfaces.
The cordless vacuum is lightweight, only weighing 3.3 pounds, and it has an ergonomic handle to make it much easier to maneuver and use. It also has an LED light to enable you to see what you are working with in dark light better.
The next option on our list is powerful and well-loved by customers. Black and Decker is one of the best brands for vacuums on the market, so it is no surprise that one of their vacuums is featured on our list. This is considered to be one of the best handheld cordless vacuums available due to its functionality and power according to cordless vacuum reviews.
This vacuum features a lithium-ion battery to provide more power and longer battery life. In fact, it can hold a charge for up to 18 months. It is lightweight and features smart charge technology, which uses up to 50 percent less energy than a typical hand vacuum.
The cyclonic action keeps the filter clean and the device moving powerfully. It also comes with a translucent dust bin so you can easily see when it needs to be emptied. It also has a rotating slim nozzle for use in multiple ways. The bowl and filters are removable and washable as well.
You can rely on this Eureka stick vacuums cordless for all of your cleaning purposes due to the fact that it has a long runtime. It is able to operate for 40 minutes on one charge. The vacuum features the latest motor technology to make cleaning convenient and thorough while taking the time to do its best on surfaces such as carpets and rugs. You can easily switch to MAX power using the fingertip controls when you will be moving to surfaces that are more difficult to clean.
In addition to that, if you need to take a break, it comes with an Easy Rest nook that enables you to prop the vacuum up onto surfaces such as countertops and furniture without any difficulties. It features a lightweight and cordless design that makes this vacuum the best for daily cleaning. You won’t have to put too much effort into assembling and the wall mount also makes it ideal for storage.
The dust cup has been conveniently placed in the front of the vacuum so you can maneuver it under beds and other furniture without any difficulty. It also has swivel steering to get into hard-to-reach places at any angle. The vacuum also features a cyclonic filtration system that will trap dust, debris, and other large particles.
In addition, if you will be vacuuming in areas that are more difficult to see, the vacuum has LED headlights to make the job even easier. The dust cup has a transparent design, enabling you to see when it needs to be emptied. And finally, another great feature of this vacuum is that it can easily convert into a handheld to be used in the car. It also comes with a crevice tool and a 2-in-1 dusting brush.
We all know that Dyson is considered to be one of the most innovative brands on the market when it comes to vacuums, so no list of best vacuums would be complete without an option from Dyson. For a cordless vacuum comparison, this option is considered to be Dyson’s most intelligent and powerful cordless vacuum due to the fact that it offers twice the amount of suction as most other cordless vacuums.
The filters and purifiers in the vacuum are proven to be able to capture particles that affect the quality of the air you breathe, such as allergens and bacteria. The whole-machine filtration system is designed to trap 99.99% of particles even as small as 0.3 microns. It is designed to clean your entire home due to the 60-minute battery life.
The actual time that the vacuum will be able to operate before needing to be charged will obviously depend on factors such as the power mode, the type of floor it’s being used on, and the attachments you are using. It optimizes the suction and run time across all different types of floors, so you can use this cordless vacuum both on hardwood floors and carpets. The vacuum features three power modes, including eco mode, auto mode, and boost mode. It has a high-torque cleaner head to enable the vacuum to do this more efficiently.
A more advanced feature of this vacuum is that it offers an LCD screen to show stats such as performance, power mode, remaining run time, maintenance reminders, and blockage reports. Along with the vacuum itself, you will also get the mini motorized tool, crevice tool, stubborn dirt brush, soft dusting brush, combination tool, wand storage kit, and docking station.
Finally, we are featuring another cordless vacuum cleaner from Dyson to finish off this list. One of the best features that this vacuum has to offer is the whole-machine HEPA filtration, which captures allergens and expels air that is cleaner than the air you’re breathing.
The filter is washable, making it even more convenient to maintain. Another great feature that this vacuum has to offer is the 30-minute battery life for continuous suction. It is a lightweight and versatile stick vacuum that makes cleaning your home so much easier. It features an instant-release trigger to ensure that the battery power will only be used when the vacuum is in use.
And when it needs to be recharged? It needs to be charged for at least 3.5 hours before the first use, which makes it one of the fastest-charging cordless vacuums available. It has an ergonomic handle and design to make cleaning easier for you. The vacuum also has a direct drive cleaner head that will drive the stiff nylon bristles deep into the carpet to clean up dirt and other particles nestled into the floor. It is also designed to pick up ground-in dirt and dust from surfaces such as hard floors and carpets.
You Might Also Like: Vacuum & Mop at the Same Time!
As we said, cordless vacuums might not be the best option if you want something that will clean your house deeply for long periods of time. But they are convenient and lightweight, enabling you to get into hard-to-reach areas and to clean surfaces such as cars and stairs. If you make sure to check out the features we’ve included in our buying guide, you can find a good cordless vacuum to satisfy all your cleaning needs.