It’s absolutely important that we breathe clean hair. However, this may not be the case for most of us. Due to the way that buildings have been constructed and the different things we bring into our homes, it is actually estimated that the inside of our houses is more polluted than outside. And since most of us spend the majority of our time indoors, this could pose a major issue for us down the line.
However, there’s no need to worry because the solution to this problem is rather simple. Air purifiers are able to remove up to 99.97 percent of these harmful toxins from the air, preventing you from breathing them into your lungs. This will help to make sure that the air you breathe is as clean as possible.
But with so many different brands available on the market, it might be difficult for you to decide which air purifier to purchase. In this buying guide, we will inform you about the different types of air purifiers, as well as some of the best options on the market according to customer reviews.
Different Types of Air Purifiers
Air purifiers come in many shapes and sizes, but they have 4 major types.
- HEPA filtration: This is the most popular type and considered to be the gold standard. The paper filter traps contaminants and has the ability to remove 99.97 percent of all contaminants in the air, including ones that are only 0.3 microns in size. Make sure that the air purifier you’re purchasing has a True HEPA filter, because this is the most effective.
- Ionic filtration: Ionic filtration works by releasing charged ions into the air, which then will settle onto contaminants. The contaminants then fall to surfaces, and the electrostatic plate in the purifier attracts the particles and gets rid of them.
- Carbon filtration: These air filters have tiny absorbent pores, which have the ability to trap gases, odors, and fumes. They are not meant for removing any particles that cause health problems and allergies and are only able to remove those that cause smells.
- UV light: This is a special technology that will release light to attack pollutants. It does not work as a normal filter and the UV light remains inside the purifier. It works by killing bacteria, viruses, and other pollutants by completely destroying their DNA.
Although there are certainly many air purifiers out there, some come from more popular brands than others. Here are some of the more popular brands on our list.
- Hamilton Beach: Hamilton Beach is one of the most popular brands on the market when it comes to different appliances for your home. Some of the products this brand produces include air fryers, coffee makers, deep fryers, blenders, and more.
- LEVOIT: LEVOIT is a brand committed to making products that are as environmentally friendly as possible and that do not emit ozone. They also produce humidifiers in addition to air purifiers.
Top 5 Best Air Purifiers for Home
This is considered to be the best home air purifier. The purifier comes with a true HEPA air filter, which has the ability to kill 99.97 percent of harmful allergens and pollutants in the air, even ones that are very tiny. In addition to that, it has the ability to kill viruses, including influenza, rhinovirus, and staph. It also will work with titanium dioxide in order to reduce some of the more volatile compounds in the air. If you have any allergies to dust or pet hair, the pre-filter will trap these allergens, which also manages to increase the longevity of the HEPA filter. The air purifier is also able to remove odors with the use of its activated charcoal filter, and some of the odors it can remove include smoke, pets, and cooking fumes. One of the main reasons why this product remains so popular among buyers is that it works quietly, and you can even set it to the lowest setting while you’re asleep so it can be white noise. There are 3 speed settings and it also has a UV C light. The purifier is able to filter the air in a room that is up to 167 square feet and it will filter the air 4 times per hour. The filter is 22 inches. The CADR rating for dust is 118, for pollen is 125, and for smoke is 108.
This LEVOIT air purifier is considered to be the best air purifier for allergies. It was also rated as having the best design according to air purifier reviews. The product does not use UVC light or Anion because these are said to produce ozone, so you can be assured that there will be no ozone in the air you breathe. It also has an innovative 3-stage filtration system consisting of the pre-filter, the true HEPA filter, and the high-efficiency activated carbon filter. The purpose of this filter is to make sure that all allergens, including pet hair and dander, mold, smoke, odor, and dust are captured. It is capable of removing 99.97 percent of contaminants from the air and is able to remove contaminants that are only 0.3 microns. In addition, it operates quietly- only at 25 decibels- so you will barely even notice it as you go about your day. The air purifier is able to circulate the air in your room 4 times every hour to make sure that it is as clean as possible. The size makes it perfect for smaller or medium-sized rooms, as well as your office at work. In addition, it has a night light with two settings so you can see better. There is also a replacement indicator built into the device that will give you a reminder when you have to replace the filter.
This option from Hamilton Beach is considered to be one of the best air purifiers for pets in addition to being one of the cheapest. As we said, Hamilton Beach is known for its high-quality air purifiers, but they also come at a great value. This product has 3 filtration stages. The HEPA filter has the ability to capture dander and other pollutants in the air. There are also 2 carbon zeolite filters that are replaceable, which will be able to target pet odors. It is easy to replace these filters with the push of a button. In addition, the pre-filter will capture larger dust particles and pet hair. The filter is able to capture 99.97 percent of these particles, even ones that are only 3 microns in size. It also can reduce odors from pets, smoke, and other sources. The operation of this air purifier is very quiet, and you can even set it to the Whisper Clean setting when you are getting ready to go to bed. It’s easy to clean, and the HEPA filter is permanent, so you can even vacuum it to clean. And it will not be necessary to replace the filter. You can position this air purifier either horizontally or vertically as it will best fit your room. It is capable of filtering the air in rooms that are up to 140 square feet in size.
Here is another great option with many of the same features that the others have to offer. It has a HEPA filter, which is able to capture 99.97 percent of all the pollutants and particles in the air, including odors, dust, pollen, mold spores, and more. The UVC light has the ability to destroy most bacteria and germs, some of which include viruses and fungi. It works very quietly and it only takes seconds to set up when the package arrives at your door. It has a timer as well that you can set to turn off after 2, 4, or 8 hours of use. This will help you to save energy. In addition to that, the device will only operate at a noise level of 30 decibels, so you can even leave it on while you’re asleep and not have any issues. In the package, you will get the air purifier, the HEPA filter, and a 5-year warranty. It is able to cover an area of 200 square feet, making it the perfect choice for most medium-sized rooms.
And finally, here is another option from LEVOIT that is considered to be one of the best HEPA air purifiers. One thing that sets LEVOIT apart from other brands, as we mentioned, is the fact that all of its products are completely ozone free, which also makes their products among the best air purifiers for allergies and asthma. These also make good whole house air purifiers because you can use this in much larger rooms than any of the rest. It can be used in rooms that are 360 square feet and the purifier will clean the air approximately 4 or 5 times every hour. It claims to purify the air at a speed 30 times faster than that of other air purifiers. The way it does this is with the Honeycomb activated carbon filter, the true HEPA filter, and the pre-filter. You can easily use this in your bedroom, kitchen, family room, or any other large room in the house. It has a smart filter life, so it will be able to calculate how much time remains until you have to change the filter again according to how the filter is used, which will also help you to save money in the long run. This filter has a cutting edge smart sensor, which means that the purifier can change between 3 different speed settings according to the air quality readings. It only operates at a noise level of 27 decibels, making it perfect for use while you’re sleeping. There is also an LED display that you can leave on or turn off so that it doesn’t keep you awake at night. This product has been Energy Star, FCC, and CARB certified, and it has met strict requirements for industry standards.
Also Check Out: Molekule Air Purifier Review
Even More Options
There are a few more factors to consider when you purchase an air purifier.
- Get the right size: It’s crucial that you get an air purifier that is the right size. Make sure to check the square footage rating of the purifier that you want to get and see if it matches.
- Check the CADR rating: This stands for Clean Air Delivery Rate and it measures dust, tobacco smoke, and pollen. The rating ranges between 100 and 450 and the higher the number, the better the device is at removing those pollutants.
- Noise level: Many people place a lot of importance on how loud their air purifier is. This is especially due to the fact that people like to leave it on at night. Check to see how many decibels the air purifier operates at.
- Timer: There are some air purifiers that allow you to set a timer for specific time intervals to ensure that it will turn off even when you’re not home or when you’re asleep.
Ensuring that the air you breathe is fresh and clean is one of the best things you can do for you and your family. This will help you to remain healthy for as long as possible, and if you or any of your loved ones have allergies, asthma, or other breathing problems, it can make a world of a difference when you purchase an air purifier.